Wine Rack As Load Bearing Wall? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wine rack as load bearing wall?

I am going to open up my kitchen and will need to knock down a load bearing wall. This will obviously require me to replace the load bearing wall with a load bearing post. However, I don't just want a boring post in the middle of the kitchen. I'd rather incorporate some design element. My idea is to construct a load bearing wine rack made out of two adjacent load bearing posts, preferably a metal/steel/cast iron post. I understand ultimately that I need to involve an engineer, but before I do that, I'm wondering if this is even a possiblity. I don't know anything about load bearing properties and whether there are such a thing as metal, steel or cast iron load bearing posts that could act as load bearing posts. If so, how wide are these? The narrower, the better. Any help or experience with something like this would be very much appreciated!!

Advertisement

lisa7932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

You do not just knock out the wall and just put a post in.
Both ceilings get temperay walls built to support them. The wall come out and a header is built to span the opening at the top with whats called jacks (2 X 4's under the header) to support it.
There aslo has to be added supports under that floor in the crawl space or basement under the jacks to support them.
Once the headers in place you can add anything or nothing in the new open space.
http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/wall_framing.html

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 02-27-2012 at 12:23 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You do not just knock out the wall and just put a post in.
Both ceilings get temperay walls built to support them. The wall come out and a header is built to span the opening at the top with whats called jacks (2 X 4's under the header) to support it.
There aslo has to be added supports under that floor in the crawl space or basement under the jacks to support them.
Once the headers in place you can add anything or nothing in the new open space.
http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/wall_framing.html
Best answer given.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

That is not what my architect told me. He told me that I could replace the load bearing wall with a support post/column to help carry the load. My question is, rather than using wood posts that are load bearing, can I use some type of metal load bearing post?
lisa7932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 616

Why would you want a metal coloum to show in a room? It would look like the steel post in a basement.
Look a whole lot better to frame it it like I suggested and you could had some coloums for looks.
http://www.columns.com/

Last edited by joecaption; 02-27-2012 at 01:33 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa7932 View Post
That is not what my architect told me. He told me that I could replace the load bearing wall with a support post/column to help carry the load. My question is, rather than using wood posts that are load bearing, can I use some type of metal load bearing post?
Your architect only gave you the "before and after" parts of the procedure. You can't just remove a load bearing wall and then pick up and install a support post in it's place. As Joe mentioned, you need to temporarily support the ceiling before removing the wall. After the wall is out, you would install an appropriately sized beam to carry the load. The beam would sit on top of your support posts which in turn need to be sitting over an adequate footing. To answer your question, yes, in most situations a metal support post can be used.

Advertisement

Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote