Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

windows - tempered or not?

I am turning an existing deck into a glassed in sun porch. I bought 12 silverline commercial double-hung windows which don't appear to be tempered. depending on how I set them up, the bottom of the glass will be 4" - 16" off the ground. They are 39.5" wide and 91" tall. The glass area for the each slider is over 9 square feet, and will sit below 18" from the ground and the top will be above 36" from the ground. They will not be next to a hinged door, but one of them will be within 6" of the fixed pane of a sliding patio door. They will also not be near stairs. I thought the IRC only required them to be tempered if they were near an outdoor "walking surface", but now I am not sure. Can you confirm it non-tempered windows would be acceptable by code for this application?

If it does call for tempered glass, could I find some way to put a safety bar in front of the glass? Did I mention I got all of these windows for $700 new as leftovers from a new commercial building?

Brian

bjherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Restorations

Send a message via Yahoo to Pennyroyal's

Check with your local codes....In Kentucky they require tempered within 18" of the floor, and I believe 8" of a doorside. These requirements come for a good reason,;safety. Remember hearing about the kids who walked through the first generation of patio doors...sure changed their lives. Your local Inspector will have your answer. On my most recent job I removed the lower sashes in those areas and had the interior glass replaced with tempered, the cost is worth it. I have seen others install laminated glass over the lower sash with some acceptable results. Good luck. Joe.

Pennyroyal's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
ICF built home

Interesting topic.

Here is a scenario:
What if there are windows installed on a new house that are less than 18 inches from the floor and the code calls for tempered glass. But the building inspector never caught it. The home has now been occupied by the new owners for a couple of months.
Who would be responsible for bringing those windows up to code?
The builder who built the house and ordered and installed the windows or the owner?

Your thoughts.....

Thanks
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Restorations

Send a message via Yahoo to Pennyroyal's

Can't tell from here. The local codes will explain it all, get a copy. It will tell you all you need to know for this and a multitude of other topics. Joe.
Pennyroyal's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #5

These could be the most expensive windows you ever purchased if someone falls through one of them.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
remodeling pro

If I understand your description correctly, the highest possible distance above the floor will be only 16", this requires tempered or safety glass. You should be able to order replacement sashes for the bottoms from the manufacturer or local distributor. You can check with the local inspector on the acceptablity of a safety bar. This used to be an option in past times, but it was pretty much open for interpretation and acceptance at the local level, but I'm not sure this any longer an option at all. Even so, it sure would not be very visually appealing.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote