Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

windows

For my add-a-level, the contractor has put in 8 replacement windows, it was never officially stated, but I thought it was a given that new construction gets new construction windows.........I've heard that this is okay, and somewhat common, as long as nailing fins are attached. I have been asking for the nailing fins repeatedly, but I think I'm getting the brush off....they keep saying "yeah, we will". the siding is to go on tomorow and they tell me the nailing fins will go on first......I don't really trust them, but I cannot be there. I can't replace the windows at this point or kick em off the job, it should be all done this week.

If I find, after the fact, that its all closed up, without nailing fins, what should I do?

What do you think is appropriate recourse? I'm sure they'll probably last, maybe longer than I own the house....but I know its not right......

Advertisement

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 592

windows

Replacement windows do not usually need nailing fin, or even come with them. Nailing fins are so that the window (usually new construction) can be put in from the outside and then nailed into the sheating of the house. They provide a more energy efficient window and are easy on new construction.

A replacement is usually used when messing with the exterior trim or siding is not wanted. If the siding and trim is not on, new construction would be best. But, replacements should be okay. Have you asked the builder why he used replacements and not new construction? Once the windows are installed, I'm not sure why you would need the nailing fins.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

windows

The mfgr, 5-star, says they have nailing fins available for the replacement windows. I want them put on so the windows are installed more properly. I'm sure this was done to save money. Currently, they have 4 nails holding them in, I installed two others, with 12 - 16 nails each.

I have heard that its still okay to do it without the nailing fins, but its just not right in my opinion. I guess what I'm asking is, what would be fair on my part if I catch them trying to get by without em? A % off? I want them done and away from my house.
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

windows

Nailing fins are not needed if the windows are secured by another method however they should install some kind of flashing around them before the siding goes up to keep the weather out.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

windows

It depends on how the openings were framed for the windows. If the openings were set up with stops, then you would not have nailing flanges as the stops would not allow the window to be installed from the outside.
What sort of sill was installed to get the water out past the siding? Replacement windows would use the old sill from the original window frame. This is new construction so there was no sill.
This issue should have been addressed when the windows showed up at the jobsite. Much less critical then.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
The mfgr, 5-star, says they have nailing fins available for the replacement windows. I want them put on so the windows are installed more properly. I'm sure this was done to save money. Currently, they have 4 nails holding them in, I installed two others, with 12 - 16 nails each.

I have heard that its still okay to do it without the nailing fins, but its just not right in my opinion. I guess what I'm asking is, what would be fair on my part if I catch them trying to get by without em? A % off? I want them done and away from my house.
Sounds like a bad situation all together. If you do not trust these guys it might be time to sit down with them and discuss your options. I hope you have not paid them yet. You are the homeowner and the boss make sure they know this. It should be your way or the highway it might cost you a little more for your way but do not allow this situation to continue. I know it is easy for me to say this because I am not in this predicament good luck though

Advertisement

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote