Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

windows

i have a old house witch is framed in rough timber. so the 2x4 are true size. when i buy new windows is there any thing i should take in to count. or should they slide right in . i want them to flush. 29 x 58 are my window size.thanks

this old house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by this old house
i have a old house witch is framed in rough timber. so the 2x4 are true size. when i buy new windows is there any thing i should take in to count. or should they slide right in . i want them to flush. 29 x 58 are my window size.thanks
If you leave the (old) window frame then the "replacement" windows should mount to this. Take three measurements in each direction for a proper fit.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
IHI

Rewards Points: 75

windows

I assume your talking about having the jambs of the new windows sit flush with the interior wall surface? so your installing completely new windows into the homes rough openings or are you doing replacement style and reusing the windows existing frames/jambs?

If doing a completely new window you will hve to get measurement for wall thickness. This cna be done a few different ways, you can goto your door and meaure jamb thickness from back side of brickmold to back side of interior casing, most jambs are 5 1/4" to 6 9/16" and old plaster homes are always difficult to get a precise reading since walls vary ALOT from one point to another. Just finished one home where there was 3/8" difference in thickness from top corner of frame to the opposite lower corner.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Corporate Construction

Rewards Points: 10

windows

If you are planning on replacing your entire window and frame then your best bet is to get a window that you will need to build the extention jams. I have redone numerus old homes and found that this is the best was cause no one window will have the same jam
hav2bfaster is offline   Reply With Quote