Window Well Pump - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window well pump

I am renovating a house (with a crawl space) near the shore- ie: high water table. The grading around the house is bad (drains toward the house) and the concrete padio in back tilts toward the house and "window well"- the well is actually the access panel to the crawl space..anyway, the window well fills up and spills into the crawl space during heavy rains...I need a tempotary fix until the summer when I can pull up the concrete and re grade, etc... Is there a sump pump that won't freeze up and will fit in a small space? We are only there on the weekends and need something that will work automatically...also, I'm not sure how far down I can dig the "window" well- doubt I can get below the frost line (which is 18" here)...any ideas??? Thanks !!

Advertisement

ms21117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

window well pump

You could try a pool cover pump; most are automatic but would likely be ~ $50 at least. Would likely have to dig down as far as reasonable, put in a 1 or 2" of gravel to keep dirt/etc from clogging up the pump.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

window well pump

I would suggest a standard sump pump in the well! And two incandescent light bulbs to keep it from freezing! One bulb would be sufficient, but the second is in case one burns out! Cover the well over with a 3" slab of styrofoam board! It wouldn't hurt to line the inside of the well with styrofoam also! In my area, some people have their pressure system pumps protected this way, and its quite effective!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote