Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window Well Grate

Hi,

Apologies if this is the right forum for this.
Here's some question I have:

I have a narrow driveway that runs between houses, where I park my car. There are basement window wells on the driveway, covered with grates.
Because the space is limited when I park my car one of the wheels ends up on on of the grates. Yesterday I took a look at the grate and in appears to be bent downwards. I don't know if my car causes this or that's been like that before for some other reason, but anyway I started wondering. Where does one get a grate like that ? I seached home depot inventory and found nothing.

And a question. Have anybody come acrosse some kind of heavy duty grates that would hold the weight ?

Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Window Well Grate

Is the grate a cast metal like a sewer grate. Or is it made of welded metal. Look to see if a manufacture stamp there name any were on it. Metal fabricator can many times make cover grate but if made a custom size it would be very costly due to all the labor. If it is a cast piece you most likely would have to find the foundry's name on it before finding one. The other much lower cost possibility is to have the bent one straightened and then reinforced to support more weight.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Window Well Grate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMopar
Is the grate a cast metal like a sewer grate. Or is it made of welded metal. Look to see if a manufacture stamp there name any were on it. Metal fabricator can many times make cover grate but if made a custom size it would be very costly due to all the labor. If it is a cast piece you most likely would have to find the foundry's name on it before finding one. The other much lower cost possibility is to have the bent one straightened and then reinforced to support more weight.
thanks for the tips.
it's not cast metal and i don't see any stamps on it.

right now i am keeping an eye on it to see if that's my car that bends it or someone used to park a truck on it
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote