Window Well Filling Up And Water Is Now Coming In - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window well filling up and water is now coming in

When it rain th window well fils up now the water has started o cone in what can I do to stop this from happening

Advertisement

terese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I suspect that if this is a new problem that the issue has to do with more water getting in than usual rather than the water not draining properly.

So logically there is some condition that is causing more water to enter the window well. I would inspect the condition of your gutters and downspouts in that area and make sure that they are functioning properly. Do the downspouts exit above ground or do they enter the ground and drain underground? If they exit above ground is the water being properly directed away from the house? If underground, there may be a blockage. Also check to see if the ground is graded properly so that water runs away from the house foundation.

Pictures of the window well and the area around it would be hugely helpful.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by terese View Post
When it rain th window well fils up now the water has started o cone in what can I do to stop this from happening
Discover the issue that's causing it. Since you live there, this should be easy. Next time it rains, go outside and look around.
Is water pooling next to the house?
-then regrade the area.
Is water over flowing the gutters?
- have the gutters cleaned and put covers on them
Are the leaders too short and letting water get close to the house?
-extend the leaders so they're at least 3 feet from the house
-regrade the area.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

On my new home, my builder wanted to drill a hole in the foundation wall, insert a PVC pipe, bring it into the cellar's sump pit and pump it out. No, I don't think so.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

we fixed a few window well water problems like that.
In our case the houses had downspout drains around the perimeter of the house. we dug down and cut into it and added a drain in the window well and that took care of it. we also put a couple of feet of gravel in there also to let the water drain out easier.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,464

window wells are a large pita to fix as, usually, they're below grade & its not often you can persuade water to run uphill bob, that's a std fix particularly if you already have an interior system including pump,,, often regrading can resolve the issue particularly if a window well cover is installed - good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

I regraded, diverted downspouts 10' away and put a drain line in the window well to divert 10' away as well (belts and suspenders). No more window well filling up with water now and no hole in my foundation wall purposely letting water inside.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote