Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window trim ideas

I just bought a stucco house with wood trim around the windows on the exterior. Much of the wood is rotted. I'd prefer to not have to remove all the rotted wood and try and match it. What other options are there? Is there any kind of product I could wrap the wood with? Vinyl?

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
Cool

Window trim ideas

One thing that happens when concrete products like stucco are in contact with regular wood is it rots it. If the wood wasn't pressure treated then the moisture gets sucked out and it deteriorates. Add weather to that and things get worse.

You could choose to replace the worst stuff and then follow some good wood preserving practices on the other stuff until it needs to be replaced. If the wood trim is on top of the stucco you could remove it, and fill damage with a matching stucco (of course it won't match exactly), but you can get close. If the stucco butts to the trim then you could also replace it with stucco up to the window frame. I had some vigas that had rotted out on a stucco house and so I cut them off, filled the holes with a similar color of stucco and then took a chip of the old stucco to the paint store and had some paint mixed that matched. I moved out of that house a few years later but it still looked good (un-noticeable).

I'm sure others here will have experience with other options.

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Window trim ideas

As already very well stated (by DeetTee): Your first course of action should really be: to find out WHY the trim is rotting.

As with any repair-remodel, before focusing on "making an area look better"...
focus on fixing what caused the original problem (what caused it to ROT.... in the first place)

Basically, you can replace the rotted pieces, but the first method of proper repair ...... should be to correct what is causing the rot (moisture intrusion) to begin with...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-30-2007 at 08:06 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Window trim ideas

The wood is rotted due to not being pressure treated and probably at least 30 years of neglect, according to neighbors.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote