Window/Siding Bids: Does This Seem High? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Window/Siding Bids: does this seem high?

I'm looking to have my house resided and new vinyl windows installed.
This is an older 70's built home with existing T1-11 and Aluminum dual pane windows.
Exterior SF i'm not too sure of but its estimated to need 3600/lf of hardi plank 8" reveal siding and 12 windows. 2 stories high with the second floor having half the footprint of the 1st floor. Its approx 1000/sf and looks similar in shape and design as this (reference only windows are totally different):

I'm getting labor prices all over the map. Example: one guy quoted me 8k in labor alone, the other 12k. Final bids (time/materials) being 12k and 21k respectively.

I realize you cant give too much feedback w/o more information, local rates, etc. but just a gut check; do these labor rates seem high?

I've never had anyone do any work to my house. I've done it all myself over the years but this is a project I dont want to let consume me.

Advertisement

211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

don't ask us, just get more bids.

Advertisement

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

my recommendation is to get references from all bidders and contact them. find out from people that have used these companies' services. did the job cost what they were quoted or where there hidden extras? did they show up when they said they'd be on the job? would the people hire that builder again after working with them?

you should ask the builders them how did they come up with their pricing. Maybe one guy realized something they other one didn't. Of course anyone can give a low price to get a job. then you could be looking at "well I didn't include that in my price."

people that received good service and cost will sometimes tell another person, people that were taken advantage of will tell everyone.

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote