Window Sash Locks Won't Latch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Window Sash Locks Won't Latch

Greetings:

I probably have the cheapest vinyl replacement windows on the planet in a rental property I purchased.

Many of the sash locks do not line up properly or the latch doesn't catch properly. They are also made of soft vinyl and the part of the latch that slides into the fixed catch will bend up and the latch will pop out or not go in far enough.

They are junk. Can these be messed with or should I replace them with a better vinyl sash lock? If so, where can I get white vinyl/plastic latches that are better or should I use white metal ones? These are so thin there is very little "grab" between the sash latch pieces.

Thanks,

Tom

Advertisement

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
What can I find here?

Is the upper window sash all the way up?

Advertisement

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

Yes, they are, as far as I can tell. They don't do it on all the windows but it seems they are a little too far apart and it doesn't catch properly.

Also these are very tall windows 12ft ceilings so you can't push from the top of the upper window but you push it up by pushing on the frame.

Tom
roztom is offline   Reply With Quote