DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Window Sash Locks Won't Latch

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  roztom 
#1 ·
Greetings:

I probably have the cheapest vinyl replacement windows on the planet in a rental property I purchased.

Many of the sash locks do not line up properly or the latch doesn't catch properly. They are also made of soft vinyl and the part of the latch that slides into the fixed catch will bend up and the latch will pop out or not go in far enough.

They are junk. Can these be messed with or should I replace them with a better vinyl sash lock? If so, where can I get white vinyl/plastic latches that are better or should I use white metal ones? These are so thin there is very little "grab" between the sash latch pieces.

Thanks,

Tom

#3 ·
Yes, they are, as far as I can tell. They don't do it on all the windows but it seems they are a little too far apart and it doesn't catch properly.

Also these are very tall windows 12ft ceilings so you can't push from the top of the upper window but you push it up by pushing on the frame.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.