Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Share |

Window Replacement and Trim

I'm replacing an old window with a rotten sill with a full frame Andersen new construction window. I'm using full frame instead of replacement windows because the new sill comes attached. The outside of the house is Vinyl and the trim around the window is covered with aluminum. Once installed I was going to trim it out with 5/4 primed pine and not recover it with aluminum. It won't look like the rest of the window trim on the house that is covered in aluminum but I think it will look better.
Anyone have any better solutions for the trim or think the primed pine trim could cause any problems with the vinyl siding?
Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Replacement and Trim-window.jpg  
Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
DIY staff

I always use Azek--White pvc trim boards.

No paint needed--can't rot--easy to work with--a bit pricey--but when you're done you're done.

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Thanks Mike. Can I cut the Azek with a regular blade?
Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Windows & Remodeling

Azek is very easy to cut, and its a good recommendation. There isnt any issue in doing what you suggest, however make sure that you get the opening and the new window flashed properly. Some siding removal will likely be necessary for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote