Window Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Lehigh Valley PA

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Window question

I have to replace my windows this year because they leak so bad and are so inefficient.
What is a good window to go with for this? Any recommendations on which brand to use?
Any to definitely stay away from? I'm not looking to go top dollar here or anything but I need something that isn't garbage either.
The house was built in '65 if that matters and I'm in the Northeast of PA.

Advertisement

Nhrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Window question

What type and material windows do you hve in mind?

We installed Milgard replacement vinyl windows - very happy with them.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Window question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhrafan View Post
I have to replace my windows this year because they leak so bad and are so inefficient.
What is a good window to go with for this? Any recommendations on which brand to use?
Any to definitely stay away from? I'm not looking to go top dollar here or anything but I need something that isn't garbage either.
The house was built in '65 if that matters and I'm in the Northeast of PA.
If want a qualtiy wood window-Eagle - Marvin -Andersen -- then Kolbe/Kolbe then Weathershield- it falls off greatly from here you get what you pay for---wood is natures best insulator

Vinyl - Siminton- Allside- Silverline/American Craftsman 8500 Series- are your best options- then it gets too cloudy too many vinyl companys come and go and all the rest are about the same-plastic is plastic cracks- splits- expands - contacts- etc...

Stay away from Pella -class action lawsuite for premature rott on wood
Pella Therma Star windows are junk- if you can't see a huge difference you need to do more shopping- junk junk junk- too reason to list so stay away
Jeld Wen wood is "junk"- Pozzi is ok- but expensive
With vinyl windows most will leak with in a couple of years - A name National Brand window is what I would recommend - Andersen - Marvin- Kolbe- Kolbe - Weathersheild- replacement parts are available on Andersen back to 1939- Andersen offers service - most send replacement parts-

Remember windows can save you money- and you want cheap you'll get cheap- again you will get what you pay for-
If you have more questions on any national window brands -just ask

Full frame replacement go Woodwright Andersens- Marvin or Eagle- pocket inserts go Andersen Woodwright and Marvin are your best choices-
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Window question

I replaced mine last year.This subject gets to be an ugly debate as to the best window for the money.I went with window world< and Im very satisified--pretty good window for the money,I paid around 5200 for 13 windows,Its pretty damn cold here right now and Ive got no leaks no sweating,and its alot more comfortable in my rooms
drdon51 is offline   Reply With Quote