Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
nes

Share |

window placement ?

Hello, I am really glad I found this stie...I have enjoyed reading through the posts.
Had some questions about window placement. We are in the process of building. We are gonna have a walkout basement w/2 floors above it. Does the layout of the doors and windows in my walkout basement have to match up with the windows and doors on the next floor? Or is it ok for them to not all match up from floor to floor? Also we will have french doors in the center of our house (living room)but does each side of them have to match also (one side is a bedroom and the other is kitchen)
Thanks,

nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
nes

window placement ?

Bump...

Old 07-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
I have gas!

window placement ?

The windows and doors don't need to line up. You would put a header over each window and door which transfers the load of whatever is above it to the wall or header below it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #4

window placement ?

It's your house, put the doors and windows where it works for you.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

window placement ?

Rule of thumb: If you have no transition of siding (siding is not broken up) on the exterior of a home, the windows should align on the floors, or have some kind of symmetry.

Basement levels:
Generally, levels below grade have a transition of somekind with the home's siding materials.
In addition, walkout areas in lower levels are usually on the rear of a home, sometimes on the side. With a transition in the siding material's continuity, alignment of those windows are not as essential in the overall design of the home.
On basement levels, such areas are often hidden or obscured, as opposed to the front of the home with it's main entry.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-18-2007 at 04:39 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
nes

window placement ?

We live on the water, this is the what the side will look like facing it. I did this with Punch program.

Keep in mind I am still playing with the placement of the windows and doors.

I guess in a way will will kinda have 2 fronts, lol the water side and the road side.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

window placement ?

There is no need to have a perfect alignment with other windows..You just provide them where you want but make sure to check the design structurally
citybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

window placement ?

an 18" shift from what you currently show would line them up... worth it to me... is the interior layout that finicky in a walkout basement?
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
nes

window placement ?

Thanks everyone, I am still playing with them. I this pic I had 2 doors in addition to the double door in the center, I have deleted the other 2 doors. I will post another pic when I get it kinda like I want. I also noticed that on my drawing the double doors line up but in this pic (and it may be the angle I copied it from) they look a little off.