DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Window Made Larger then opening

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Cecosugi 
#1 ·
Please help.

I had ordered windows to replace my upstairs windows through a company that delt with Hurd Windows(since I had already replaced windows down stairs with the same). I cant afford to do it all at once, so this year was upstairs front of house. Here is my problem. I gave the dealer all of my measurements. They had the windows made. Only problem is they made them 5" taller. Salesperson wrote in wrong sizes.

However, when they faxed us the contract, wife checked price not sizes, wife signed and sent back, and we paid for them. They delivered them no problem. When installer came to put in....."we have a problem, window 5" taller then opening". I wouldnt be so frustrated since 5" more window(light) would actually look better,but the front of the house is brick venere, and masonry work is needed to expand the opening. I tried to have them remade, but the company states that the original salesperson is no longer with the company and they of course don't have any of my original measurements. Also, since we did sign the original work it is not their problem. O.K. rather than going through a lot of legal nightmares, how hard is it/ how much do you think it would cost to cut 5"of brick and drop down existing footing. I have attached pictures of those windows also. (3 windows total, center is domed, other two are same consruct).

please help,

JB

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's too bad. I don't think anyone here can give you an accurate price, depends on your local area. The window above the lower roof cannot be lowered, easily. The other is not too hard to lower. I suggest hiring it out, as it's 2 story, unless you have worked bricks a lot before. Be safe, G

#3 ·
You can rework the triple casement over the address, but your stuck with the other unless you're about to redo the bay roof underneath. The flashing detail will be very time consuming.
Both are doable, but at what price? Might be cheaper to order the correct sized windows.
Ron

#7 ·
I agree with Ron. The one over the address is more doable but still costly and good brick man to set and repoint the brick work will be expensive and the other well your looking at a lot of work for 5 inches.I dont know where you are but where I am we have a place called VCM Wholesell they but up material just like what you have ,wrong size,cutomer changed mind durring construction after material was bought,things like that then they resell them.They also buy big lots of windows and doors to sell at much lower prices.I got all my doors and windows their.If you dont have that kind of place ebay or craiglist them but getting the right size is going to be alot cheeper then trying to make the ones you have fit.Also vsheetz is right if your buy all from the same place and they know this was messed up they might cut you a little better price especially in todays building market

#8 ·
I agree 100%, lowering the windows will be by far more expensive then selling the old windows and buying new ones. There are a few problems you will have lowering the brick veneer anyway. First is that it looks like you have a standard size brick on your house. The coursing does not fall in 5" increments so this will leave you with a small rip under your window which will look bad. Second there is a good possibility that the color of the joints will not match after the patch. Also you will need to rip down farther then 5" to reinstall flashing. It can be done but IMO it is not at all worth doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.