Window Installation - Best Practices - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window installation - Best Practices

Hello. I am building this house near Bellingham WA and have many windows to install. I have read a number of window install guides and I want to make sure that I do the job right the first time.

A recent post mentioned metal flashing metal where the guides were saying to use tarpaper. Maybe I am getting too many opinions, but I want your ideas.

I was planning to pan the rough sill with a bituthane product (Vycor) and have it overlap the 30 lb felt that will go on the wall below the window. Felt splines go up the sides and the window is caulked and nailed over the pan and splines and directly attached to the plywood sheathing on top without a spline.

As you can see I have a double row of windows on the south side and the area between top and bottom windows seems like it should have Bituthane instead of felt from top sill to above the head flashing in the lower window.

Could you please tell me if I am off base here and what your best practices would be?
Thank you very much.
Solar Dave
Attached Images

Advertisement

Solar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would suggest that you use a reputable house wrap, not roof felt. Example: Tyvek, or other.

This is a useful article (with pictures),to review, regarding New-Construction window installation: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...correctly.aspx

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Atlantic WB,
I researched housewraps until I was blue in the face. I finally decided I didn't trust them and that I did trust 30lb felt. This is a big question for me and I heard of some problems and was scared to trust the new technology. I can still change the system because that phase hasn't started yet. I feel like maybe I should research it some more.
Solar Dave
Solar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #4

Properly installed, a Tyvek (or similar) system is bulletproof. I'd have it over 30# felt any day.

Anything bad you read about more modern products like Tyvek is due to poor installation practices, not the products themselves. I'd suggest actually locating the Tyvek rep in your area. I've found them incredibly helpful and often willing to visit prior to the installation to guarantee a great end result.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I live in western Oregon and like Bellingham get a a fair share of rain.

Are you installing vinyl windows with flanges?

If so this is rather easy.

Depending on code there are several ways to do it.

First off always seal from the bottom up, never from the top down.

Put in the windows. Seal with a commercial window sealer starting at the bottom. Some people put the sealer in the window opening and then put in the window. Either way works for me and I have never had a leak.

Then put the house wrap on. I don't care about felt versus tyvek as I use both and have had excellent results with both. The argument is like the old .45 versus the 9mm. Mostly a waste of time and energy.

Make sure you overlap enough to keep any water from getting into the seams.

Limit the staples in the area of the windows and use just enough to keep if from blowing in the wind. The siding will take care of keeping it down near the windows.

Then put on the siding and caulk at the window and siding interface.

From your picture you won't have any problems with leaks. You have a very nice overhang that will keep water off the windows.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post

....I don't care about felt versus tyvek as I use both and have had excellent results with both. The argument is like the old .45 versus the 9mm. Mostly a waste of time and energy....
Here is an article that discusses some of the differences:

http://www.buildernewsmag.com/viewnews.pl?id=21
Old 09-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Here is an article that discusses some of the differences:

http://www.buildernewsmag.com/viewnews.pl?id=21
Then there is the issue of over sealing a home. Latest news is that we are makimg them too air tight and that some airflow is desirable.

sigh......

On a side note I do prefer the 9mm.

Advertisement

Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote