Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

window install on t1-11

question on installing windows in t1-11. i have a window update i need to do in a few rooms and have read about various techniques of doing the install. the window cut into the siding seems to be the popular low labor way to do it but it seems kind of cheeseball to just cut a hole, plop the window and caulk. i was thinking of pulling the sheet of 1-11 where the window is planned to go, re framing the window opening with 2x4 so i can attach the window to a 2x4 frame, then IW shield around the frame and 2x4 and install the t1-11 on top of that. if i really wanted to get crazy i could even flash the backside of the 1-11 in a couple inches. what do you guys generally do when you run into those 80s ranch homes that were built with t1-11 on top of studs?

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #2

window install on t1-11

Your method is the right way to do it, but more expensive. Cost should not be so much of a factor when doing things correctly.

The opening definitely should be framed to fit the window, and proper flashing, waterproofing, behind the siding is the right thing to do. If it is not framed, everything will sag and warp over time. And without proper waterproofing and caulk, rot is inevitable.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

window install on t1-11

i kind of thought so, just surprised to find write ups that suggest the short cuts in the siding. thanks for confirming that for me
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

window install on t1-11

"just surprised to find write ups that suggest the short cuts in the siding." ------ like using a drift punch on the nail heads so you can reuse the same siding later? OR the way you said, but adding a piece of head flashing and the window before installing the framing from inside? OR just cut the hole and nail the window with much caulking and trim to hide it from sight? DIY'ers, DO NOT try this at home, or run with scissors....

Be safe, Gary