Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Window Install Question

Hello,

I am going to be installing windows in our cabin on a wall where no windows existed previously. I have never installed windows before but I think i am pretty comfortable cutting and framing the openings.

My questions is with the actual window. It is a Crestline double hung vinyl window with wood interior. It has a nailing flange. 4-9/16 jambs. The rough opening is 36X60.
  1. Do I need to flash the rough opeing framing with roofing felt?
  2. Can I set the window directly on the rough opeing sill plate or do I need shims there first and then set the window on those? If I can set directly on the silk can i put a bead of spray foam insulation or a couple of parallel beads of caulk down first and set the window directly on that to form a nice tight seal under the window?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom

Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Window Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
Hello,

I am going to be installing windows in our cabin on a wall where no windows existed previously. I have never installed windows before but I think i am pretty comfortable cutting and framing the openings.

My questions is with the actual window. It is a Crestline double hung vinyl window with wood interior. It has a nailing flange. 4-9/16 jambs. The rough opening is 36X60.
  1. Do I need to flash the rough opeing framing with roofing felt?
  2. Can I set the window directly on the rough opeing sill plate or do I need shims there first and then set the window on those? If I can set directly on the silk can i put a bead of spray foam insulation or a couple of parallel beads of caulk down first and set the window directly on that to form a nice tight seal under the window?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom
Hello.

Just checking back to see if anyone has any advice or tips on this?

Thank you.

Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote