Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
sod

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Window Install?

We are in the process of having Marvin Infinity double hung windows installed on the lower level of our walkout rambler. One of the windows is on the brick portion of our home. The window didnít fit the opening, so the companyís installers removed the end cap and cut the window aluminum face by about a 1/8 on both sides. The end cap piece was not replaced. The cutting chipped some of the factory-applied finish, which is now covered with caulk.
My questions are:
1. Have any of you pros or others done this, and is this a common practice? We were told it is done in at least 5% of their jobs.
2. Will this affect the integrity, functionality and service life of the window? We were told that it will not.
3. Since installation is a factor that Marvin considers in its warranty policy, will this affect the warranty? We requested that the company get a letter from Marvin and co-signed by themselves that the warranty will be honored.
The cut window is now installed. The company said that if we are not satisfied with the window, they will order and install a new one made to fit the opening. Would you do this?
There has been not been any discussion of a price adjustment if we stay with the window they cut and installed. If we accepted this window, what percentage reduction would you recommend we demand?
Thanks in advance for the help.

sod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Window Install?

I'd get assurance from the Marvin that the warranty will be honored BEFORE I paid the installer. And I would contact Marvin myself and ask these very questions. I wouldn't consider even a price reduction without assurance from the manufacturer. If the installer is willing to get the "proper" window, there was obviously some sort of error in ordering or what was shipped............and it can and SHOULD be corrected.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #3

Window Install?

I can read your fears there...Just as was said, get them to order a new window and install it right...Anything less and you will not be happy...
Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Window Install?

Before you start looking for a refund, post a picture of the finished window in question. My one window of choice is Marvin. does the window operate OK?. is the window damaged from the install. installing windows could be a challenge in brick openings. there for some modifications must be done to the opening or the windows exterior trim. could you post a close up picture of the unit so we could see what the finished product looks like.
BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote