Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

Share |

Window Help!

We are replacing our windows and in the front they will be 5 ft and 35 1/2 wide (current windows are 6 ft by 35 1/2). Our house is a L shaped house meaning the garage protrudes on the left if you are facing the front. It has somewhat of a steep roof and the house is lap woodsiding. Along the front of the house there is a sidewalk. We have decided to remove the small in adequate gable and put a shed roof across the front with beams and rails so we will have a long front porch. I 'm changing the windows to 5 ft so they are not to close to the side walk. Currently the windows have colonial grilles and a 2 ft awning at the bottom. I am changing the four windows to single hung and sticking with the colonial grilles. My question is the rest of the windows on the side (one on each and three in the back) are sliders. I'm thinking about put a short fractional (it would be a quarter of the window from the top) 2 squares per sash. Would this look good considering I have colonial in the front. I just don't think I want colonial on every window, but I'd like something. Or should I change the sliders to two single hung with nothing on them.

Is there a way to attach a photo?

GIDGEEGIRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Window Help!

Here's a pic of the house

Slider window I taped ribbon inside to see what it would like like with a short fractional grille. I found out later there would only by two squares per sash and they are a quarter of the window. Yeah or nah?
Attached Thumbnails
Window Help!-dsc01215.jpg   Window Help!-dsc01260.jpg  

Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #3

Window Help!

strictly a personal decorating choice.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Window Help!

Bill,

Thanks anyway