Window Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Hi guys
I Need advice on this framing. Do I need to put doble 2x6 on each side of the window rough in?
I know I need to put fireblocks but I didn't till I find out if I need another 2x6 on the side.
Attached Images
 

Advertisement

EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Window framing


You should have jack and king studs on either side of the window running from the top plates to the bottom plates. If this is a load bearing wall, you'll need a header.
If any of these terms are unfamiliar, do a goggle search so you can respond.

Advertisement

__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Thx, it already have a header on top of the two top plates.
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by EHouse View Post
Thx, it already have a header on top of the two top plates.
Not in the picture you posted.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


It was a porch with 2 2"x12"x12' nail together between the 6x6 post and the brick wall. The room is about 12'. Can I use this and evade putting a header on top. If we put a header we are going to end with the window too low.
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by EHouse View Post
It was a porch with 2 2"x12"x12' nail together between the 6x6 post and the brick wall. The room is about 12'. Can I use this and evade putting a header on top. If we put a header we are going to end with the window too low.
Posting a photo from the outside will help determine the load.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
Posting a photo from the outside will help determine the load.
Here. The inspector came and said it's Alright but must have wind bracing.
Attached Images
 
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
You should have jack and king studs on either side of the window running from the top plates to the bottom plates. If this is a load bearing wall, you'll need a header.
If any of these terms are unfamiliar, do a goggle search so you can respond.
Thanks Ron for your help. Appreciate it.
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,993
Rewards Points: 2,052
Default

Window framing


May need the extra stud/blocking for interior/exterior trim or casing.... Blocking required for shear with the plywood/OSB?

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA
May need the extra stud/blocking for interior/exterior trim or casing.... Blocking required for shear with the plywood/OSB?

Gary
I don't think is required but I put them too, ...just in case. The most important thing said the inspector is that your 2x6 have to be nail to the OSB every 6" max. And vertical pieces.
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Too Old
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South of North
Posts: 345
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Window framing


When I frame in windows I always have dbl. stud on sides (kingstud and trimmer) and the sill, this helps with nailing later. Being you are framing in a porch I would still double stud around the window.
__________________
"Yeah, it's a nice garage, but you have to keep it heated at all times so it doesn't mess up your roof line."
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Window framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife
When I frame in windows I always have dbl. stud on sides (kingstud and trimmer) and the sill, this helps with nailing later. Being you are framing in a porch I would still double stud around the window.
Thx for your advice.

Advertisement

EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing a Replacement Vinyl window with brick mold jlatulippe Carpentry 4 06-23-2011 03:05 PM
window jambs flush with framing porchhen9 Remodeling 3 05-15-2011 06:42 PM
Rough framing a window hwdruman Building & Construction 4 06-14-2010 10:03 AM
Framing and Trimming Basement Window mjkpainting Carpentry 2 06-28-2009 10:33 AM
Re-sizing a window opening shtoink Carpentry 5 09-04-2008 11:47 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts