Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Mold is not my friend.

Rewards Points: 10

Window Flashing compromised

Two of our windows in our two year old house have developed leaks under the sill. These are double wide double paned Silverline (at least the builder claims they're Silverline, my building inspector begs to differ) windows with the slot weep hole on one side and two round weep holes underneath near the center. The vinyl siding includes a wide trim piece around the windows that was added after the window was installed. Apparently the siding trim piece that allows the wide trim to clip to it has been nailed in right through the rubber moisture barrier that was applied over the window nailing fin, under the window. This appears to be where the moisture is getting in.

If we remove the wide trim, we'll have to replace all of the siding on the front of the house (or accept the color difference with new pieces) and we just can't afford to do that right now. Is there a way to attach the siding trim without compromising the moisture barrier? Can we just silicone the nail holes to keep future water out? Could we lay a new piece of moisture barrier over the nails?

Here's the window...

Here's the trim pulled back

Rubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

do the caulking with silicone, yes. it should fix it. i'd caulk any other gaps between trim and frame water may be seeping behind too.
do not follow any advise from me if you have liver problems, shortness of breath or are taking any medications for heart disease.
ask your doctor if this is right for you.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Mold is not my friend.

Thanks, from another fan of the Monocular Mouse!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Mold is not my friend.

Update:

Can you believe that these windows, along with having weep holes in the center on the outside, also have a 1/4 weep hole under the window on the INSIDE of the nail fin? No wonder water was coming in. It is slower on one window that has a shim directly under the hole but it still seeps in. I have an email in to Silverline including pictures of the hole, but has anyone else heard of a window that has a weep hole draining to the inside of the frame? If so, why on earth would you do that?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

indeed strange, i'd like to hear response from manufacturer as well.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote