Window Drip Cap- To Caulk Or Not? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window Drip Cap- To Caulk or Not?

I just replaced the exterior trim and storm windows in a couple of windows. I saw that the aluminum drip cap at the top of one of this window was so heavily caulked between itself and the cedar clapboard resting on top of it. Could that be why water sometimes leaks inside my window from the top? that the water collecting inside the drip cap had no place to go if its all caulked up?

I have removed most of the caulk and may also need to replace the one clapboard in question, as its kind of damp and soft. There might be rust or a hole in the aluminim that's causing the water leakage after a heavy downpour.

My question is, after I put in a fresh piece of clapboard over this drip cap, do I need to add any caulk to this drip cap, underneath it where it meets the top trim, or where the clapboard and cap meet, or none at all and just leave it open? I will be caulking the sides where the siding meets the vertical trim.

Thanks for your help
greg

Advertisement

gam7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

A photo would help, but if I understand correctly, yes caulking should be used there.
Is it possible you are getting water in from higher above some place?

Advertisement

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

never caulk between the siding and the dripyou can however caulk the drip and the trim under it
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote