Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Window Cord Help

So my contractor left me high and dry after installing a window. I doubt he's ever coming back to finish the job. Regardless, to me it looks like the window is almost finished (minus the shutters and screen).

However, on the interior, what is this cord hanging from the window? It's on both sides. Can I just cut it? And why is there a hole there? Did he not put a cover over it, or is the window installation not complete?
Attached Thumbnails
Window Cord Help-window_cord.jpg  

snouter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Window Cord Help

The cord looks like a jamb stabilizer. In the hole should be a screw, that when tightened, will keep the jamb from spreading. You just tighten each side until you see the jamb move and stop. Test to see the sashes go up and down easily with not too much side to side play. Then you can cut the cord.
Care to share why the contractor left?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #3

Window Cord Help

Security system wire?????
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

Window Cord Help

That looks like the strap that Pella has factory installed to keep the window from spreading
Once installed it can be removed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #5

Window Cord Help

Ok. So the window's been installed, and I just cut it, and stuff whatever is left back in the hole?

Are the holes supposed to be exposed like that? Is there something that should be covering them?
snouter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #6

Window Cord Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by snouter22 View Post
So my contractor left me high and dry after installing a window. I doubt he's ever coming back to finish the job. Regardless, to me it looks like the window is almost finished (minus the shutters and screen).

However, on the interior, what is this cord hanging from the window? It's on both sides. Can I just cut it? And why is there a hole there? Did he not put a cover over it, or is the window installation not complete?

Oh my you got hoodwinkled is that a Pella Window Have you not seen all the Class Action Law Suits on the web about Pella Windows Rotting... Yeah...look for your self at You got a lower grade pella window. Also if you shove hard enough please don't fall out the window, because the sash pushes outward. Inspect you window yearly for your own piece of mind, because what has happen to alot of Pella windows is the windwos rott from the inside out and you do not see the damage until it's to late. Good luck...Please be my informed of your window choices next time...

EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EMILY P For This Useful Post:
EmilyP (05-13-2010)