DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

which window is better?

763 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  feralfreak 
#1 ·
im laying out a floor plan and skeletal drawing of a gardening shed, about 8'x10', and I did 2 different windows on the sides of the door, which one is better, left or right? and is there anything I did wrong in the drawing?

on the left I have a header and cripples above it with no plate under the upper cripples(I tried to write "cripple" in that little space but I guess the cell phone didn't show it well) and on the right I just have cripples, which way is right? what should I do different and is there a way to do this better? did I do the fly rafters right?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The one on the left is the closest to being correct.
May run into issues with not making it a real header with 2, 2 X 4's and plywood or OSB between them or at least using 2, 2 X 4's.
It gives you more room for attaching sheathing, trim and nailing fin.

#4 ·
The one on the left is the closest to being correct.
May run into issues with not making it a real header with 2, 2 X 4's and plywood or OSB between them or at least using 2, 2 X 4's.
It gives you more room for attaching sheathing, trim and nailing fin.
on the left I did draw a header under the cripples, should I have moved the header above them? or should I make the header wider? I drew in 2x10s for the header but since there was all that space above it I thought I needed to do something, do you know of a site that has a picture of how the header should look? there is a doubled top plate but I made the mistake of getting too detailed(I overthink things a lot, my sensei kinda commented on that a while back) and put in the rafters and what I think is called the facia, these next 2 pics show the doubled plate:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.