Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
i carved this sword

Rewards Points: 75

which window is better?

im laying out a floor plan and skeletal drawing of a gardening shed, about 8'x10', and I did 2 different windows on the sides of the door, which one is better, left or right? and is there anything I did wrong in the drawing?

on the left I have a header and cripples above it with no plate under the upper cripples(I tried to write "cripple" in that little space but I guess the cell phone didn't show it well) and on the right I just have cripples, which way is right? what should I do different and is there a way to do this better? did I do the fly rafters right?

feralfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

which window is better?

The one on the left is the closest to being correct.
May run into issues with not making it a real header with 2, 2 X 4's and plywood or OSB between them or at least using 2, 2 X 4's.
It gives you more room for attaching sheathing, trim and nailing fin.

Last edited by joecaption; 05-04-2014 at 08:45 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

which window is better?

Drawings not showing a doubled top plate.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
i carved this sword

Rewards Points: 75

which window is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The one on the left is the closest to being correct.
May run into issues with not making it a real header with 2, 2 X 4's and plywood or OSB between them or at least using 2, 2 X 4's.
It gives you more room for attaching sheathing, trim and nailing fin.
on the left I did draw a header under the cripples, should I have moved the header above them? or should I make the header wider? I drew in 2x10s for the header but since there was all that space above it I thought I needed to do something, do you know of a site that has a picture of how the header should look? there is a doubled top plate but I made the mistake of getting too detailed(I overthink things a lot, my sensei kinda commented on that a while back) and put in the rafters and what I think is called the facia, these next 2 pics show the doubled plate:

feralfreak is offline   Reply With Quote