Window In Bathroom Shower: MOLD - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Window in Bathroom Shower: MOLD

Greetings: I am one of those fortunate enough to live in a community that requires a window in bathrooms.

I have a vinyl replacement window right in the middle of a tiled wall in the bathrooms shower. Needless to say this gets wet all the time. (I do have an exhaust fan) I have caulked the heck out of it and painted it with enamel but there is mold forming as the area stays wet and even worse the water pools on the sill and does not drain off. (The sill tilts back towards the window).

Since the wndow must stay, what can I do to treat/paint, etc. this area? I need to remove the existing black mold forming on the windows inside sill but also need a paint that will seal and not be subject to mold.

Have any of you dealt with this kind of window installation/mold issue successfully?

Thanks,

Tom

Advertisement

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

bleach will remove the mold from vinyl, and wiping the excess water after each shower will help, but you need to redo the sill so it tips IN, not out, pooling water will just add to the problem and may even seep under the window and rot wood.. a photo might help us here....

DM

Advertisement

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #3

Will the bleach remove mold from the painted sill?

Is there any way to paint that sill with any special paint that will resist the mold?

Tnx
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
the Musigician

Will the bleach remove mold from the painted sill? yes, it should do fine, however if not kept dry, it will keep coming back. the tip of the sill concerns me the most as it will continue as long as this is not fixed, or at the very least towel-dried every time. there may be/probably is paint that is mold resistant, however, if not kept dry........ well, you know.

DM
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #5

Is there any kind of expoxy or marine paint that might work here? I have it painted with an enamel.

Also since the sill tilts back towards the window so the water pools against the window frame and not so the water will drain, is there a way for me to put some kind of spackle/filler to build that up so the water will drain? I can't pull the window, sill and tile apart so is there another way to fill in the sill to raise it so I can get it to drain?

TNx,

Tom
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
the Musigician

tom, if it were me, i'd go to my scrap pile of vinyl siding and cut a piece to cover the sill, then build it up to the right angle with scrap wood or something then caulk with silicone caulk and paint. you need to keep the water running off the sill into the tub, not pooling. when we used silicone anti-mold caulk in our tub, it still molded over time, so i'm not too sure if mold resistant paint will help. maybe a photo would help. other options are needed here guys!

DM
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #7

I will get a photo this afternoon.

Since this is in a shower and the window is at body level, would the siding or cladding be a cut hazard? Also is there a way to build the sill up with a solid material like a tile cement or some solid material that would adhere to the wood?

Tom
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

As for the sill - I would have a piece of solid surface countertop cut to fit, install it with thinset (same as tile). The thinset will be thick enough to allow you to pitch it slightly away. There are also faux marble thresholds that could work for this. If you have a tile sill remove that first. Then caulk well. As for pait - There are anti-mold additives for paint. i cant speak to their effectiveness. Mold needs two thiings to thrive. Moisture and something to feed on. The glossyer the paint the harder it will be for mold to grow and the easier to clean.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
the Musigician

perhaps you could use 4" square ceramic tiles if the marble is hard to find/work with? they have the curved edge pieces that could be along the outside to be scratchsafe.....build the thinset to correct angle, grout tile, etc. just a thought.

DM
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #10

SO, I might tile that sill, build it up underneath to pitch it, and then grout the #$%& out of it... is there any grout additive to stop mold.

tb
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Handyguy

Just use caulk (tile guys are cringing). There is mold resistant caulk. The advantage of one piece is no grout lines. Regardless you always caulk transitions (like floor to wall). So, even if you did tile with 4" tiles you would only have a few grout lines anyway depending on window size.

Hey - Found a link for ya
http://www.siltech-inc.com/window_sills.htm

Good luck
Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #12

I hope these are clear enough. The sill is only about 3-4in.

I can take more if that will help.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Window in Bathroom Shower: MOLD-img_0199.jpg   Window in Bathroom Shower: MOLD-img_0195.jpg   Window in Bathroom Shower: MOLD-img_0192.jpg  
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Handyguy

Yes - very clear - I would definitely replace the sill with a one piece plastic sill. You can get it in white (NO PAINT). While you are at it replace all the window trim with the same material. You will still have caulk to deal with but the PVC trim will hold up well.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #14

Brik: That is interesting stuff.

Is it a plastic or ..? SO basically I would put this on top of the existing wood sill, cover it and then caulk it in. Does it need to be cemented/pasted also? Does this also mean it deesn't need painting?

TX,

Tom
Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #15

Will removing the existing trim be an issue? Will it wreck the wall/tiles ?

DO I have to remove the existing sill and all the trim? Does the window need to come out or can I get the trim and the sill out without taking the wall down?

Is this a genral handyman job or should I get somebody more "skilled?"

I am a weekend warrior and this is in a tenant's unit.. so it will have to be fast and done right the first time.

Tom

Advertisement

Last edited by roztom; 08-27-2008 at 02:16 PM.