Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

Share |

Window in Basement

I am putting a new 3 foot by 19 inch window in a old cinderblock wall in the basement. There is no window there now. The cinderblocks are about a foot deep (seems very large to me) but they are in good shape. The window does not have a flange. I Plan to cut into the block with my 4 inch high grinder with diamond blade and slide angle iron in on the inside and outside top for structural support then cut out the block for the window. I imagine this will not be easy with my 4 inch grinder. My questions are how big of a hole do I cut for the window, should it be flush with inside or outside and how do I secure it? The room is not going to be framed, just block filler and paint. Thanks in advance for any help from you guys.

almostdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #2

Window in Basement

Is there substantial weight above this area?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Crabby Bastard

Window in Basement

more substantial than the house? (LOL)
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Window in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I am putting a new 3 foot by 19 inch window in a old cinderblock wall in the basement. There is no window there now. The cinderblocks are about a foot deep (seems very large to me) but they are in good shape. The window does not have a flange. I Plan to cut into the block with my 4 inch high grinder with diamond blade and slide angle iron in on the inside and outside top for structural support then cut out the block for the window. I imagine this will not be easy with my 4 inch grinder. My questions are how big of a hole do I cut for the window, should it be flush with inside or outside and how do I secure it? The room is not going to be framed, just block filler and paint. Thanks in advance for any help from you guys.
What you should be asking is:

"How do I go about doing such a structural alteration?"

....Because, that is what you are going to be doing. This work will affect the structural arrangement of that area, and everything above it.
You will also, most likely need to install a proper lintel set, into the overhead area (dependant on what is there, or not there, for joists), to carry the weight loads above, that 3'-0" opening.

Please do not cut or grind away anything, until you sort-out all the necessary issues related to these points.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-29-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Grammer
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Window in Basement

Just an additional check before you start -

Is there any possibility that you will use the basement for uses other than storage.

If you have a bedroom or some other uses, you may need a "egress" window that is sized and located to permit being used as an emergency exit or for acccess by rescue/fire personnel. If this is the possibility, it could increase your resale value.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Crabby Bastard

Window in Basement

don't let anyone tell you that glass block is the solution to this problem either.

a lot of people think because it has the word "block" in it, that it is a structural, load bearing, material. It's not. Glass block requires the proper structural provisions just like any other opening in your home
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Window in Basement

This requires a plan with an engineers stamp everywhere we have worked. If you can eliminate all the block above the window right to the sill of the house, this will be a lot easier, as you can frame everything with PT lumber rather than steel.

PKHI is offline   Reply With Quote