Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

winders encased in brick

my windows are encased in brick. We are looking at the double pane insulated windows all around. An aquaintance looked at the set up and said that they are a pain in the neck to replace because they are enclosed in brick. I looked all around the window sill / frame and did not see any screws any where that would lead me to believe that they are screwed into the stud and easy to remove and replace. Anybody out there know where I can go with this? Does this sound like it is a real job? The house is 35 years old. I am not scared to tackle anything, but looking at this leads me to believe that this beyond my comfort level. Thanks for any and all input.
Jeff in Houston

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-28-2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Language Reference
scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

winders encased in brick

Windows were probably put up before the brick facade was put in.

So the attachment is on the face of the frame behind the brick. If the frames are good, I would consider pocket window replacements which are easy to do.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

winders encased in brick

what are pocket window replacements? How do they differ from regular windows? If we decide to go with regular windows, the brick would need to be removed and then replaced?
Thanks...Jeff
scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #4

winders encased in brick

I had windows in brick in the old part of my house also they were held in by metal tabs that had been embedded in the brick.I bought Windows smaller then the opening which was pretty big anyway.I framed the window opening with PT wood wider the the width of the opening another word if the sill was 6 inches wide I put a 2x8 in.I cleaned all the mortar to make sure I had a flat ,level and square area and used adhesive to bind it to the brick.On the inside I used 2x4 to frame completely around the window and nailed the over hang from the say 2x8 to that.I cut 2 lengths of board for the top and bottom of the window each and attached everything to the top and bottom plates.the new window then installed like any other window and I drywalled over the inside,on the out side I put mortar in where any brick had split or chipped out its getting covered over anyway.I am not a pro and I don't know if this is the way they would have done this or not but it turned out very sturdy and air tight ,it also made the installation of the windows easy and if I ever want to change them (not likely) the set up is their to make it easy.As sure as I am someone will come on here and tell me I did it wrong I am also sure someone will have a better solution for you just my 2 cents worth
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

winders encased in brick

after reading another post on a different subject it reminded me of something I left out. You will or should find a steel lintel I believe they call it embedded into the brick (mine was) leave it in and if you are talking a house with a second story then you may need more support then what I thought and I am pretty sure in your area thats a structural change that would require a permit
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Eibwen

winders encased in brick

Pocket windows are where you leave the frame but replace the shashes. If your frames are good its ALOT easier than gutting the entire window and putting in a whole new unit.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote