Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
DIY hobbyist

Share |

Wind Mitigation

Had a homeowners insurance wind mitigation reinspection, yes reinspection. Same insurance company passed me a few years ago now they come back and fail me..raised my premium from $1600 to $4700.
They said I was missing 1 nail in existing roof to wall attachment strap, gave me a rating of toe nail. I questioned them about how do you toe nail a wood truss into a concrete tie beam, answer was that's the way they see it !
So they raised my premium. I could not see paying that much, so I removed my eves added straps as seen in attached pictures, got my premium reduced to a manageable payment. This is a scam going on in the south Florida area (loop hole in the law that insurance companies are taking advantage of) but with a simple repair, it can be fixed and you can keep payments down. I will post finished pictures later.
Attached Thumbnails
Wind Mitigation-single-strap-ne-back.jpg   Wind Mitigation-single-strap-west.jpg   Wind Mitigation-single-strap-west-1.jpg  

ggold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Wind Mitigation

I think I'd lodge a complaint with the state insurance commission.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wind Mitigation

There is talk of something similar in Illinois at both the insurance and code/inspection level. I have some degree of mixed emotions. Strapping a roof on could save a lot of damage to your home and the ones near it if a tornado or something rips it off and sends it airborne. Strapping it to the structure could prevent the situation. I am not sure all would spend the money if not NUDGED a little though and I guess a substantial increase in premiums is more than a subtle nudge.

It does seem like your insurance company reduced your premium once the situation was remedied to their standards so I guess I don't see a true scam in this. There are always bottom feeders that chase such situations and opportunities and perhaps you had to pay someone to bring your strapping to compliance? That is a shame.

The benefits of strapping on roof structure are very well documented and well tested. Sorry but I think it a good idea. I know it is tough to be forced to make home repairs though especially with money tight. And in this economy "relatively inexpensive" has a powerful meaning having to do with how many nights a week you are willing to eat hot dogs vs. strapping your roof on. But in this case, not making the improvements could effect others, not just the individual homeowner.

Last edited by user1007; 03-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
DIY hobbyist

Wind Mitigation

I had existing tie downs from original construction, a strap embedded in tie beam nailed to truss with 2- 16 penny- 2 1/2 long. They would have given credit for a clip if I added 1 more nail, what is 1 more nail going to do ? is there that much of a uplift rating increase to justify adding 1 nail ? How many people have taken the time to do this work ? I was told by other home inspectors that I was the first in my area to make this repair. Thats what the insurance companies are counting on. It would be in their best interest to help homeowners with proper upgrades rather than just rising premiums and leaving it at that. If I had not questioned them and requested a copy of report I would have been stuck with higher rates. THEY OFFERED NO ADVISE ON UPGRADES, til I made calls to them. To me this is a scam
ggold is offline   Reply With Quote