Will Spray Foam Stick To Concrete? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 764

Will spray foam stick to concrete?

I have seen many people do it, but someone on here made me feel like I'm an idiot for even considering. I have heard a few stories of people having issues. So what's the general concensus? Anyone have personal experience? I'm speaking of the foam-it-green spray specifically. This is a below grade basement that has been sprayed with Radon Seal. It was poured in July of 08. Thanks.

Advertisement

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp
I have seen many people do it, but someone on here made me feel like I'm an idiot for even considering. I have heard a few stories of people having issues. So what's the general concensus? Anyone have personal experience? I'm speaking of the foam-it-green spray specifically. This is a below grade basement that has been sprayed with Radon Seal. It was poured in July of 08. Thanks.
It will stick to just about anything. The better question is whether or not it is the right material for what you want to accomplish.

So, what do you want to accomplish. We need details here.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

It certainly isn't recommended. Try reading the technical sheets looking specifically at the substrate requirements. I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned but the spray foams I have specified have specific moisture content requirements for the substrate material.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Finishing basement. Foam-it-green is closed cell, so would like to use it as insulation and a vapor barrier. It never gets really cold or hot down there, so was thinking of just spraying it about an inch thick if possible to save money. Honestly, I mostly want it for the vapor barrier since I can get away with no insulation down there.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp
Finishing basement. Foam-it-green is closed cell, so would like to use it as insulation and a vapor barrier. It never gets really cold or hot down there, so was thinking of just spraying it about an inch thick if possible to save money. Honestly, I mostly want it for the vapor barrier since I can get away with no insulation down there.
Why not just do the vapor barrier?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #6

I don't want to get condensation and mold behind it. There's a lot of controversy about whether or not to put one in a basement. Plus the foam seems like it will seal everything up much better.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Yep should be fine. I had a crawlspace professionally done, walls (cinder block) and ceiling (concrete).
Attached Thumbnails
Will spray foam stick to concrete?-1.jpg   Will spray foam stick to concrete?-2.jpg  
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #8

Now that's pretty.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

Now that's a fire hazard...can't do that here in CT without a thermal & ignition barrier over it.

Mike, might want to check your technical sheets as I mentioned. At 1" thick, even closed cell foam won't give you much for a vapor barrier.

As a point of reference, Closed cell Icynene is 0.9 perms at 1.5" (Class II vapor retarder). 6 mil polyethylene sheeting is 0.03 perms (Class I vapor retarder).
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

Are more perms good or bad? I really want to cut down on humidity down there without running a dehumidifier. I put 6 mil poly on the floor and ran it under the sill plates running it a couple of inches up the wall with hopes to embed it within the sprayfoam for a nice seal.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #11

Will it stick to poly sheeting?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Yep should be fine. I had a crawlspace professionally done, walls (cinder block) and ceiling (concrete).

yikes...

you may want to make sure this isnt an issue with your homeowners insurance.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrack_corn View Post
yikes...

you may want to make sure this isnt an issue with your homeowners insurance.
Can't see why. All I know is that the energy conservation type people would love that. Will probably cut my gas bill in half this winter. When I'd stick my face in there, I could actually feel cold air rushing in and hot air rushing out, it was like a convection effect.

The pro who did it did mention that it's flammable, but that was per code because it's an enclosed room. Even if it was to go into flames, it's an enclosed fire proof room, the fire would not go far. In fact it would probably just run out of air and stop burning.

Though I could probably build a fire resistant door in the opening. Worse case if someone did have an issue I could probably just drywall it all. Not sure how I'd do the ceiling though, just plaster? lol
Attached Thumbnails
Will spray foam stick to concrete?-4.jpg  

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 08-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Are more perms good or bad? I really want to cut down on humidity down there without running a dehumidifier. I put 6 mil poly on the floor and ran it under the sill plates running it a couple of inches up the wall with hopes to embed it within the sprayfoam for a nice seal.
Higher or lower perms can be either good or bad depending on the location which they are installed. The lower the perm, the less amount of moisture transmits through it in a given interval of time. The higher the perm, then greater the moisture migration.

Excessive moisture levels in a basement space should really be delt with from the outside in. Just putting measures at the interior will only delay the inevitable work that needs to be performed at the exterior. If you have excessive moisture, then drainage and exterior water proofing should be at the top of your list.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #15

I don't have excessive moisture, just want to prevent any future issues. House is new and graded correctly. Tons of drainage.

Advertisement