Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Will this be a functional combination?

I have recently purchased the following compressor:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-68149.html

I would have gone for more, but found a gently used one for $60. I am a moderate DIYer, knowing a little about a lot, but I am unfamiliar with air tools.

I was planning on purchasing:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ler-68057.html

for misc. projects that I may have and I was wondering if this setup will function.
Justins1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
In a little over my head

The combination of the compressor and nailer looks fine. That said, I'm not a big fan of "combo tools". It seems like they usually try to do too much and end up doing nothing well. It may work fine (no personal experience at all), but the second time it jams in the middle of a small project, you'll be throwing it across the room.

I've seen plenty of barely used Porter Cable and Bostich brad nailers at pawn shops for around $40-50. 16g finish nailers cost a little more and don't come up as often. Do you even need the stapler at all?

Buy once, cry once.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

It isn't a combo set. I personally don't need the staple function, but I'm sure my wife will use it for upholstering. I like the flexibility of having a 16ga and 18ga for that cheap of a price
Justins1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

if you do a little searching you will find that there hundreds of people trying to find parts for tools bought from HF. in the parts list for the tools they sell it states that some parts in the diagram are not available. when it quits you pretty much have to throw them out unless you can find another broken one to steal parts from. Home depot was selling a 15 guage porter cable angle finish nailer for 79 last time i was in there. they also had a porter cable set with compressor 2 nail guns (18 and 16 guage) and a 1/4 narrow stapler for 259.00. but its your money. many people have said their tools from HF lasted a long time. just about anything will last a long time with occasional use. its your money tho. i buy stuff from HF also, but do so only needing or expecting it to last for one or two uses but never buy anything with a motor on it. thats just my feelings about it. a good brand name tool will last many years and do the job better then any low priced and usually low powered tool will. if you buy at HF anyway at least get the extended warranty, it will last longer than the tool will and you can get a new one for free.

Last edited by DannyT; 11-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

for using that small brad nailer, you'll be fine. I have the 3 gallon CHEAPO harbor freight pancake compressor, and it even powers my paslode Framing nail guns! (I can only get off about 10 nails a minute, but still does the trick!)

But honestly, air tools are an OBSESSION! I own quite a few ranging from the pancake, to a twin 8 gallon tank 5HP gas powered honda motor putting out 14scfm, to a 16 gallon 110V craftsman (about 6cfm @ 45psi) to my garage compressor 80 gallon 5HP, 16SCFM. I love them ALL !

Once you go AIR you never go back !

In the future check out craigslist for OILED compressors. In all seriousness, any compressor worth its weight will be OILED. The oiless ones are basicly ticking time bombs. (instead of oil as a lube, they use the very material they are MADE from to lube themselves, when its gone, its gone)
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote