Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Will drywall mud, mud&tape stick to masonite?

I have some valuable long panorama posters that I want to mount on sheets of masonite. Some will run over edges seams and of course over the screws holding the masonite to wall studs.

Will drywall mud and tape stick to/stay on untreated (shiny side) masonite?

(also posted in drywall forum, but not enough traffic there to generate a reply it seems.)

2 threads on same subject merged

Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossenfeffer View Post
I have some valuable long panorama posters that I want to mount on sheets of masonite. Some will run over edges seams and of course over the screws holding the masonite to wall studs.

The guy who owned my house before me did that to the back patio (maybe because he didnt want stucco near his bar area). He put furring strips up & then masonite with paper tape & mud over the joints. Then he sold the house to me, needless to say they didnt hold up good over time & i've been to lazy to take them down & fix the holes he made in the stucco. IMO it is not a good idea to try to tape & mud over masonite. From personal experience with it it doesnt turn out too good HOWEVER the could be because he did a bad job with furring strips AND because it is outside (even tho not exposed to rain it is exposed to Phoenix's extremes). So under ideal circumstances masonite & tape may do better than it has at my house, but i still wouldn't recommend it.

Haha i re-read your post, the short answer to your question is yes tape & mud can stick to masonite, but i still dont recommend it lol.

Last edited by Axecutioner-B; 08-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
(also posted in drywall forum, but not enough traffic there to generate a reply it seems.)

If you have, "valuable" anything, you will put them in frames and hang them on the wall.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you have, "valuable" anything, you will put them in frames and hang them on the wall.
Ron

Gee, thanks for the insight, Ron. These items are each 12 feet long and mounted as a backdrop will run for 60 feet in my rail hobby room. Each one costs $225 US.
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Gee, thanks for the insight, Ron. These items are each 12 feet long and mounted as a backdrop will run for 60 feet in my rail hobby room. Each one costs $225 US.
You might have included these details in the post.
Try applying the compound to scrap pieces and see what happens.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote