Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

will 20' garage be wide enough

I am going to build 20' wide detached garage (don't want to go wider than that for several reasons). Garage will have two single 8' wide doors with a coach light on each end (and of course a divider in middle) It will have vinyl siding and trim including trim out around coach lights. Do you think there will be enough width for everything? (I haven't decided exactly how I will space the extra 4' {20'-16'=4'}... ie; evenly dived by three sections {2 ends + middle=3} or more space on ends or on middle section so any suggestions on that is appreciated as well)

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

20' won't allow enough clearance to swing a car door open easily, if there are 2 vehicles in the garage.. You'll hardly get them open at all along the outside walls.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
20' won't allow enough clearance to swing a car door open easily, if there are 2 vehicles in the garage.. You'll hardly get them open at all along the outside walls.
Thanks Maintenance.......actually the garage won't be used for cars (as many aren't) but rather as storage/gym. Any other reasons why it wouldn't be wide enough?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Same thoughts here....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I guess if you aren't going to park a car in it, it's really up to you. Personally, if I was limited to 20', I'd put a single 9' wide door on it, stay at least 2' from an outside wall and then put a 3' personnel door next to it. At least you would be able to park one vehicle in it if you had to.......... but like I said, that would be me. The only thing I would be careful to evaluate with your design is if you have enough lateral bracing between or next to the doors for side to side wind loading.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I guess if you aren't going to park a car in it, it's really up to you. Personally, if I was limited to 20', I'd put a single 9' wide door on it, stay at least 2' from an outside wall and then put a 3' personnel door next to it. At least you would be able to park one vehicle in it if you had to.......... but like I said, that would be me. The only thing I would be careful to evaluate with your design is if you have enough lateral bracing between or next to the doors for side to side wind loading.
Please elaborate, I am not sure what you mean by lateral bracing and wind loading, thanks...
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #7

Are you calling it a garage for resale or is it really just an out building? if your thoughts are on resale, I'd either make it wider or make it a single with a workshop/exercise side as described by Maintenance 6. I have a narrow 2 car garage. It's a PITA having to discharge passengers outside and back in the car in the left bay so the door opens towards the middle.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #8

If I were limited to 20' I'd opt for one 16' door centered. I have a 16' door and park a full size truck and trailblazer witout problems but we're able to angle them apart when driving in. They probably end up using about 22' when we park like this.

When build something like this I believe you should consider how it will affect your resale value. Someone buying it will most likely want to park cars in it and that would help the resale value. Get some tape on the drive way and park your cars to see how it works out. Don't forget that you will loose at least 6" on each side for the walls if your exactly 20' outside and end up with about 19' interior space.
smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
Please elaborate, I am not sure what you mean by lateral bracing and wind loading, thanks...
What I mean is that if you eat up one wall so completely with openings for doors, then there is little left to brace the side walls to prevent the structure from racking in high winds. Walls need to have either a diagonal brace in the corner from top plate to sole plate or a solid piece of sheathing nailed to the out side of the studs. With large openings using up the majority of the wall, you have no place to install that bracing or a significant piece of sheathing. Termite can probably elaborate on the code requirement for lateral bracing.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #10

I am pretty confident the UBC requires min. 2'6'' or 2'8'' but exceptions can be made using pre made sheer walls from Simpson and other things like this.

There are 8' wide garage doors?

Can you get a 8' wide and 7' tall garage door???

How is the project going?
canyonbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_geek View Post
Are you calling it a garage for resale or is it really just an out building? if your thoughts are on resale, I'd either make it wider or make it a single with a workshop/exercise side as described by Maintenance 6. I have a narrow 2 car garage. It's a PITA having to discharge passengers outside and back in the car in the left bay so the door opens towards the middle.
If there is a reason you'd rather have two doors I wouldn't worry too much about doing something different for resale. Most people will look at the building, see it has two garage doors and it's newer than the house, and be good to go. Build it so it works for you, don't worry about the "possible objections" of future buyers
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #12

Click on one of the applications here: http://www.strongtie.com/products/st...wall/index.asp Take gold bullion.....

I have 8x8 and 8x7 doors and love them. Room for my van with top racks on. See what minimum shear panel width is from your local B.D. For garages, they usually have a special detail with all the info on it.

Be safe, Gary
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #13

IMHO - For resale I would go with a double wide door or the two single doors - this way it's a two car garage. As to the size and resale, I would not be too much concerned - as long as it appears and can be called a two car garage the value will be pretty much the same.

Agreed - just talk to your building department regarding the structural details.

that said -

As for usability - I would go with one double wide door. I've had garages with two double doors and did not like them. In fact, on one house I changed to a single double wide door at considerable effort and expense. If one uses the garage as an auto workshop - the double door lets you place the auto in the middle and have working room on either side. My current workshop/garage is 24x30 (double door in the 24 end) - I find it to be good balance of space, functionality, and cost to build. Can readily park two vehicles - has workshop area in front - good room to work on one vehicle.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

I will have 9' wide by 7' tall doors on the garage
Even with 9' wide my F150 does not clear by a lot on either side
9' + 9' +18" min in middle & both sides = 22' 6"
My garage is about 24' wide
I prefer 2 doors, do not like 1 door

Hopefully since this thread 1 1/2 years old possible he has built the garage
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #15

they make 12 ft wide as well, but it would be a special order.
I have one on my 24 x 26 shop/garage. Currently using it as a shop, but it will be a garage once I die.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote