Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Widening patio entry 1/2 inch to replace door

Hi,

I have an old sliding patio door that is getting harder to open over time. Looking to replace with a standard size french patio door. The problem is the opening is the right height, but the width is 1/2 inch too narrow. The french patio door I am looking at cost about 350.00, but I am told I have to order a custom door costing 1600.00.

Looking at the sides of the entry there are three vertical 2 by 4's on each side. Is this a crazy thought to remove one of the boards from each side and shim it up minus the difference to create the 1/4" space on each side to accommodate the less expensive door?

Directly above the door is a horizontal support 14 feet wide with three more vertical supports.

The basic description of the back exit to the house is a siding back door with a window on each side, and above the 14 foot wide horizontal part are 4 windows spanning the 14 feet.

Is this a reasonable work around to ask a contractor to do? If this can be done I would think its less expensive than going for a custom door if it was done right. I do have some concern this home depot contractor is trying to get me to pay more so he can get a higher percentage.

Thanks for any thoughts and even if this can be a diy job, I have another contractor that will assist me in doing this if possible. But I have not even asked about this type of modification to anyone.

Thanks!
Kel

kozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

You don't need a custom door, that's ridiculous. The door you want can be made to fit.

I'll let one of our local carpenters tell you the best way to do it.

Quote:
I have another contractor that will assist me in doing this if possible.
So...why can't he answer your/this question?

kozy (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

Not sure if I understand correctly but it sounds like you have a 14' header maybe? if so the the 3 - 2xs would be trimmers and you should have no problem removing 1 on each side and filling in to get the 1/2" you need.
kozy (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

How did you measure? Is the old patio door and frame already out of the opening? If it isn't, I bet that you will find out that the opening is correct, once you get that old door out.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
kozy (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Thats what I figured but needed some backing. The Home Depot contractor measured and stated it was 1/2 " too narrow. I never did get to talk to him directly, I wasn't home during the visit. The other contractor who did some work in the past has a standing offer to assist me on any project I do but has not been called upon for help. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You don't need a custom door, that's ridiculous. The door you want can be made to fit.

I'll let one of our local carpenters tell you the best way to do it.

So...why can't he answer your/this question?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

That is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
Not sure if I understand correctly but it sounds like you have a 14' header maybe? if so the the 3 - 2xs would be trimmers and you should have no problem removing 1 on each side and filling in to get the 1/2" you need.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

Home Depot measured it. I talked to a friend tonight who said the exact same thing! I have a feeling you may be correct. We will see the day we pull the old one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
How did you measure? Is the old patio door and frame already out of the opening? If it isn't, I bet that you will find out that the opening is correct, once you get that old door out.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

That is why myself and most others do not like these so called "contractors" for the big box stores. I ran into about the same problem, when we were shopping for storm doors for our house. The contractor said that both doors were out of plumb, which really our back door is, due to was never flush when whom ever installed the door, did not take the time to make sure it was plumb & flush with the house.

The only real way to measure while that door is in, is to pull the moulding off around the door, and measure then at three points horizontal, and three points vertical. As for your old door, it could just be that the rollers are needing replaced. Once you get the old one out, give it to your local Habitat for Humanity store, since someone may be able to use the unit in some project they may be doing, and in turn you get a tax write off.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote