Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Widening a doorway in a load bearing wall

Would anyone happen to know the IRC R502.5(1), R502.5(2) requirements for header and cripples in a load bearing wall/exterior wall for a 48" opening? I am planning on opening the doorway from a 32" opening to a 48" opening. The existing wall is/was the exterior wall which has 2x6 studs. The entry leads to a 3 season enclosed porch. Above is one storey and pitched roof.

EFEmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

EFEmm, some projects require skilled labor. Your best bet is to hire someone with experience for this project.

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFEmm View Post
Would anyone happen to know the IRC R502.5(1), R502.5(2) requirements for header and cripples in a load bearing wall/exterior wall for a 48" opening? I am planning on opening the doorway from a 32" opening to a 48" opening. The existing wall is/was the exterior wall which has 2x6 studs. The entry leads to a 3 season enclosed porch. Above is one storey and pitched roof.
If you have the height, you can go as wide as possible to overkill it, like a triple 2x12 - since it's 2x6 framing.
If you are lacking in height, you can also play it safe and cut down (rip down) an LVL to make a solid LVL triple header.

These are just suggestions to get you started on the possibilities. As stated, you are concerned with the code requirements,that is good, so talk to someone about that. (Sorry - I am too lazy to go out to my truck and look thru the book)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-23-2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

Thanks for your input. I was able to finally get a copy of the table for the headers by code, my town library doesn't have one, but another town's did. I have still decided to overbuild, as you mentioned. Code required 2 2x6 over one 2x4 stud for the expected loads. But once I open the wall, I'll see what is there already. If it's 2x8, I'll triple that and use the 2x6 studs, may as well, I need to fill the void to make it even with the existing wall anyway. Thanks again.
EFEmm is offline   Reply With Quote