Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Widen a cupboard door frame


Hi

I have a cupboard about 7ft long with the door in the middle, I'd like to have easier access to each end of it so widening the door frame to have either sliding or folding doors seems the obvious answer. The wall enclosing is plasterboard. Would it be possible to just cut the existing plaster to the width required and replace the frame for the door/s?

sallyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Widen a cupboard door frame


Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyc View Post
Hi

I have a cupboard about 7ft long with the door in the middle, I'd like to have easier access to each end of it so widening the door frame to have either sliding or folding doors seems the obvious answer. The wall enclosing is plasterboard. Would it be possible to just cut the existing plaster to the width required and replace the frame for the door/s?
You can widen an opening, but how you do it depends on the structural load above. You would need to determine how the structure is set up.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Widen a cupboard door frame


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You can widen an opening, but how you do it depends on the structural load above. You would need to determine how the structure is set up.
Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks for speedy reply. I don't think it's a support wall as the only thing it appears to support is a plasteboard cornice, which is stuck on the outside of cupboard on to the plasterboard wall. Looks as though the cupboard was put in decades after construction of flat, so would that mean it's not a load bearing wall? I'm a total novice at this type of diy and any info greatly appreciated.
sallyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Widen a cupboard door frame


Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyc View Post
Hi Ron,

Thanks for speedy reply. I don't think it's a support wall as the only thing it appears to support is a plasteboard cornice, which is stuck on the outside of cupboard on to the plasterboard wall. Looks as though the cupboard was put in decades after construction of flat, so would that mean it's not a load bearing wall? I'm a total novice at this type of diy and any info greatly appreciated.
Pictures would help.
Is a cupboard a food pantry? Walk in? or like a closet? Is there a floor above this? Can you see the floor or ceiling joists anywhere in the house?
How old is the house?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scratched kitchen cupboard doors in need of help nottinghamfella General DIY Discussions 1 12-05-2009 05:48 AM
Anything wrong with putting an electrical box in a kitchen cupboard beech Electrical 8 10-05-2009 06:24 AM
Under cupboard lighting Ste Meds Electrical 3 11-07-2008 09:46 AM
bedroom cupboard to shower room? woodland81 Plumbing 5 07-08-2008 10:25 AM
Widen a doorway Oilerz Remodeling 3 01-06-2008 09:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.