Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Widen a cupboard door frame

Hi

I have a cupboard about 7ft long with the door in the middle, I'd like to have easier access to each end of it so widening the door frame to have either sliding or folding doors seems the obvious answer. The wall enclosing is plasterboard. Would it be possible to just cut the existing plaster to the width required and replace the frame for the door/s?

sallyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyc View Post
Hi

I have a cupboard about 7ft long with the door in the middle, I'd like to have easier access to each end of it so widening the door frame to have either sliding or folding doors seems the obvious answer. The wall enclosing is plasterboard. Would it be possible to just cut the existing plaster to the width required and replace the frame for the door/s?
You can widen an opening, but how you do it depends on the structural load above. You would need to determine how the structure is set up.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You can widen an opening, but how you do it depends on the structural load above. You would need to determine how the structure is set up.
Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks for speedy reply. I don't think it's a support wall as the only thing it appears to support is a plasteboard cornice, which is stuck on the outside of cupboard on to the plasterboard wall. Looks as though the cupboard was put in decades after construction of flat, so would that mean it's not a load bearing wall? I'm a total novice at this type of diy and any info greatly appreciated.
sallyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyc View Post
Hi Ron,

Thanks for speedy reply. I don't think it's a support wall as the only thing it appears to support is a plasteboard cornice, which is stuck on the outside of cupboard on to the plasterboard wall. Looks as though the cupboard was put in decades after construction of flat, so would that mean it's not a load bearing wall? I'm a total novice at this type of diy and any info greatly appreciated.
Pictures would help.
Is a cupboard a food pantry? Walk in? or like a closet? Is there a floor above this? Can you see the floor or ceiling joists anywhere in the house?
How old is the house?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote