Wide Closet - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wide closet

In a room with a drop ceiling, I am planning to build a 12' wide closet with three sets of bi-fold doors. Since I can't frame into the ceiling (rather not disturb the drop down ceiling) I am thinking how to support the doors. I was thinking of a header spanning the closet of doubled up 2x6s. Is that overkill or do you think doubled 2x4s would suffice?

Advertisement

rick20794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Wide closet

As long as you're not going to hang anything heavy, or rest anything heavy on the closet ceiling, and the bi-fold doors rest on a floor track, a (2) 2x4 header should be fine. It really just needs to hold up a little lumber and drywall without sagging.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

Wide closet

Go with doubled up 2 X 6's with a piece of 1/2 plywood or OSB between them.
The right way would be to remove the dropped ceiling in that area, frame the wall and fix the ceiling.
You going to end up with a flimsy wall by trying to built it your way.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 776

Wide closet

In order to make the closet stable enough that it won't shake when you open and close the doors you really need to remove the section of ceiling above it and attach the walls to the floor above. It's better to take a little more time and effort now than to wish you had later. The additional strengths will also help you when building rods and shelves in the closet. Redoing the drop ceiling will really not be that much of a problem.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Wide closet

I have to disagree with the suggestions that the closet would be flimsy. We're talking about a box with four framed sections, with drywall: the room's existing wall (back of the closet), two closet sides and a closet ceiling. In fact, three of those sections will have two layers of drywall. The existing wall acts as the anchor for the whole assembly. I seriously doubt a box composed of those sections is going to have any give---even with a wide opening. Call me crazy, but I see no issue with that design. Sure, if you think of just the framed box...sure it's going to have tons of give. Once that drywall goes up, though, it will be solid. For added rigidity, use drywall screws 6"OC both on the edge and in the field.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

Wide closet

Tie the header to the back wall at the points where the doors pivot. (2 places)

Advertisement

123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote