Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

Why put plywood over drywall?

I have an interior wall that has plywood nailed over drywall. Why would anyone want to do this? To soundproof the room, maybe? It sure makes things hard to work with.

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Prevent damage? Drywall certainly needs protection in some areas/applications and exposures.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
the Musigician

To prevent hockey puck damage perhaps?
Seriously though, I bet it would make things a bit difficult.... weird....

DM
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If in the garage, for use as a bumper. Same with the Utility room.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #5

This plywood sheathing is in a bedroom. I've never seen it done like this before. The room is near a busy street, though.
Yes it makes things tough. Instead of a utility knife, I'm using a sawsall to hack through it. Actually should have used a circular saw.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
This plywood sheathing is in a bedroom. I've never seen it done like this before. The room is near a busy street, though.
Yes it makes things tough. Instead of a utility knife, I'm using a sawsall to hack through it. Actually should have used a circular saw.
Could be that the drywall was badly damaged and the previous owner didnít know how to repair it so he slapped on plywood to cover up the damage or he was going to install paneling or waynes coating and needed a nailing surface.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

I've seen buildings that had 4 sheets of drywall installed one over the other over the years... I suspect that it was a matter of damage to the wall needing to be fixed, but it was quicker to just put up a new thin sheet of drywall than to remove the old stuff and do it right. It's possible that the person put plywood up because he needed to hand something on the wall that could not be supported by just the drywall. Maybe he had a dartboard there at one time... Does it cover the entire wall from floor to ceiling? How well is it attached tot he wall studs? Maybe he had a rock climbing wall installed in there?

http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.ph...853546243&ev=0

Last edited by diy-581; 01-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
diy-581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

I have been involved with buildings that used plywood behind the drywall to provide strength. One was a school which used to typically be all masonry but in an effort to reduce costs, this plywood/drywall combination was used.

The the other way around doesn't make a lot of sense, at least for an interior wall not subject to extreme abuse. It defeats the purpose drywall was made for and makes it very difficult to have any sort of finished wall surface.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
I have an interior wall that has plywood nailed over drywall. Why would anyone want to do this? To soundproof the room, maybe? It sure makes things hard to work with.
Damage, likely. But who knows.

Our church men's group does a lot of construction/repair/maintenance work for different charities. One charity has a home for troubled teens. They don't even bother with drywall in the interior bedroom walls. We put up 1/2" OSB, paint over it & call it a day. In their case, it's pretty obvious why.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #10

Could be for sound. It would help a fair bit with higher frequency sound.

Would also be useful if you wanted to hang heavy things (like tools) in arbitrary locations.

It seems like for covering up damage regular paneling would be faster and easier than plywood. I remember "helping" my uncle put up paneling in his third bedroom after the girls moved out to make a den. He put construction adhesive on the back of every sheet. I bet after he sold the house someone was kind of PO'd about that!

Is it detailed (trim around the windows, etc?) or just thrown up?
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #11

The walls of this room always looked a bit ugly. I never knew why until I cut into them. Double layer, drywall first and then plywood.
The plywood is not fixed particularly tightly to the wall. Just a couple of nails here and there.
Old buildings are such a mystery...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #12

Quote:
The walls of this room always looked a bit ugly. I never knew why until I cut into them. Double layer, drywall first and then plywood.
The plywood is not fixed particularly tightly to the wall. Just a couple of nails here and there.
Old buildings are such a mystery...
Well, that means that it wasn't for a rock climbing wall... You need a bit more support on the attachment of the plywood to the studs than just a "couple of nails here and there"... Still could have been for hanging stuff there though...

diy-581 is offline   Reply With Quote