Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Why are my windows leaking?!

I woke up this morning to find cracked paint from water on my bedroom windows. It's also running down the wall underneath them. I've never experienced this before though. Any idea why this may be happening. The pics here are the inside and outside of the same windows. Thanks!

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Why are my windows leaking?!-bedroom_windows_inside.jpg   Why are my windows leaking?!-bedroom_windows_outside.jpg  

jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

From the pics seems like you have an ice dam
Which is probably causing water to back up under the shingles

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
From the pics seems like you have an ice dam
Which is probably causing water to back up under the shingles
Thanks Scuba. Is there anything I can do about it? Or should I just let it melt?

JP
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Why not

Rewards Points: 25

maybe you can try and get it off. open the windows and shovel it forward to stop the damn. if not as it continues melting it may continue leaking
noahweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

i think his main problem is on the dormer,not knowing your roof walking ability i'd say let it be
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahweb View Post
maybe you can try and get it off. open the windows and shovel it forward to stop the damn. if not as it continues melting it may continue leaking
Well, it's leaking from the top. I can see water damage at the top of my windows from the inside. I'm not really sure how I could shovel it if it's leaking from the top of my windows.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
i think his main problem is on the dormer,not knowing your roof walking ability i'd say let it be
What is a dormer? The roof section where these windows are is not very walking friendly. It's pretty slanted.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I dont think anyone has tried yelling at the dams, i cursed mine some but it didnt help
Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

It appears you have a major problem with lack of insulation and none to very little venting. The moisture from inside is probably collecting on the window and mimicking a leak, but it's actually a combination of air leaks, inside moisture, lack of insulation and ventilation.

Your roof should never look like that.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
It appears you have a major problem with lack of insulation and none to very little venting. The moisture from inside is probably collecting on the window and mimicking a leak, but it's actually a combination of air leaks, inside moisture, lack of insulation and ventilation.

Your roof should never look like that.
My roof should never look the way it does in the picture? How do I fix this?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
MJW

The snow is melted away only on the heated areas. You are losing a ton of heat. You need to correct the insulation and ventilation.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
The snow is melted away only on the heated areas. You are losing a ton of heat. You need to correct the insulation and ventilation.
Ok MJW. I'm not sure I understand this. How is my roof heated? Under the roof is my living room. Tear out the ceiling and re-insulate? I don't think so. My house is 1700 sq. ft. and my gas bill is only $115 /mo. I still don't see how this is making my upstairs windows leak.

I just read this article. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1068.html. I do have an attic above one of my bedrooms. There are rolls of insulation up there never used by the guy I bought my house from. I'm assuming my attic is poorly insulated. If I re-insulated my attic, would this help?

Last edited by jpearson311; 02-21-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Found something new.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
MJW

Yes, the attic is where the insulation goes. Your roof is getting too much heat because there isn't adequate insulation in the attic above the living space. Can you get to the attic space? If not, then yes, you need to make an access somewhere. It's usually in a closet or somewhere hidden.

The link you supplied gives a vague idea to what I'm talking about, but it gets the point across.

It's a guess on my part about the windows, but it's a good one. It also could be just caused by the ice dam. This could be all fixed correctly by a good Contractor. You can do the trial and error thing yourself though. Start out with checking out the attic. My guess is there is plenty of heat and moisture up there.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, the attic is where the insulation goes. Your roof is getting too much heat because there isn't adequate insulation in the attic above the living space. Can you get to the attic space? If not, then yes, you need to make an access somewhere. It's usually in a closet or somewhere hidden.

The link you supplied gives a vague idea to what I'm talking about, but it gets the point across.

It's a guess on my part about the windows, but it's a good one. It also could be just caused by the ice dam. This could be all fixed correctly by a good Contractor. You can do the trial and error thing yourself though. Start out with checking out the attic. My guess is there is plenty of heat and moisture up there.
Thanks for getting back to me. There is an attic and I can gain access to it through a closet in one of the bedrooms. For a quick and temporary solution though, I discovered roofmelt tablets. The local Ace near me carries them and I'm gonna go pick some up tomorrow and toss a few on my roof. Have you ever used these?

JP
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
MJW

I have not used them.

Make sure you go up there and check things out or hire someone to do it for you.