Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

Why are foundations on mobile homes not required?

This is more of a rant than a question but why is that you can build a 2,000 sf+ triple wide on cinderblocks with no footers but if I want to build a 4'x4' stairs landing off my house I need to dig a hole 6'+ feet deep for a footer? I thought 3' was over kill for a deck now they are enforcing the 5' from the house you need to dig down to the house foundation footer.

Just found out someone bought the vacant lot next to me and plans on putting in a mobile home. I didn't think it was a buildable lot because my area has a 2 acre min build lot and this is only 1/2. but 30 years ago someone else has a mobile home on it so it was grandfathered... I like to see how they fit a septic mount, well and mobile home on a 70' wide lot when the town has 20' setbacks. Hopefully they wont be able too.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

.......... Lobbyists.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
JOATMON

Because a mobile home is a self contained structure....it has a metal chassis that can support the building on it while being transported down the road. The walls are thinner that a normal home....lighter...etc....footers are enough.

Your house? Well....I would be willing to bet that it's about 10x heavier.....

50 years from now your house will be there....the triple wide? Well.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #4

You need to check with you local town authority (which by the way makes a nice addition to your profile so we know where you are from) to see what the codes realy are. In my town (actually I live in the village inside the township) trailers (single, double tripple et al) are not allowed anymore. There are a few left over from the 72 Agnes flood that HUD put up as temp housing. Once the village addopted new codes these few were grandfathered in that as long as they stayed put they can stay. No additions or alterations can be done to them unless they are brought up to current codes (which does not allow for trailers). If the trailer is removed then no replacement can be put back...ever. Modular homes can be built. Modulars are clasified in my area as being delivered on trailers but removed from the frame and set on a permanant foundation. Double wide mobile homes do not fit this clasification.

In the township around my village(separate government) the codes are similar with the exception that trailer parks are allowed providing that they meet all codes at the time of construction. The county health dept is routinly monitoring these to make sure sewer and water supplied are properly maintained. A couple of years back there was a couple from out of town who bought two old mobile homes on a lot up the road from my moms house (township) The new owners unaware of the current codes decided to renovate both trailers by making alterations to the physical structure of them. One of then they tore half of the trailer off of the frame and started to reframe a new addition on top of it. Code stepped in and issued a stop work order (no idea who would have called them). The people protested and lost. The judge (yes it went all the way to a coutroom) said either restore the home to its original factory specifications or tear it down ( it was deemed unfit for human habitation at that point) turns out that both trailers had to be razed. These were originaly put in in the late 60's so you can imagine what kind of condition they were in.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

I understand how a house needs to have a better foundation. I was comparing it to a deck.

I checked with the code officer they are still allowed. Its a nice wooded area with mostly newer homes. You don't see too many mobile homes mostly older but there mixed in. Its funny there is literally a multimillion dollar mansion on my road then 2 houses down is a 30 year old single wide.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote