Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Why do we bring water into our homes?

Is there a reason that all new homes have there sump pumps inside there homes? I don't understand why we bring water into our homes and then pump it out? Why can't we start installing outdoor sumps?

outside only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

In this area---the pumps freeze up----

Often that pump well has outside drains and inside ,under floor drains going into it---

If you live in a warm area----dig a pit below the footing heights--and move the pump outside---the pit will be nine feet deep --give or take----

Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

to elimitate freezing, what happens if you don't use a back flow valve?
outside only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

What will happen to the water in the pipe above the backflow valve---?? It will freeze---

You are going to have to live with the inside pit---Mike----
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 166

Outside, try and go back and add your location to your profile. Go to quick links to edit.

With no check valve the water left in the line would run back into the pit and may trip the float and turn the pump right back on.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside only View Post
Is there a reason that all new homes have there sump pumps inside there homes?
It's the Willie Sutton rule:
"Well, that's where they keep the water"

What would be the point of having a pump at all if the water
(somehow or other) is already outside the house?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
Bondo (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 6

In most cases, the water will be still find it's way to the interior of the foundation, regardless of where the pump is located. Having an interior sump pit/pump has a number of benefits: Easier to monitor (many folks fret heavily over sump pump cycle times, and can somehow wake from a dead sleep if the they don't hear their pump kick in regularily), easier to maintain, inspect & replace, less likely to freeze, easier electriacal connection (plug into wall outlet), etc.....
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 12

the purpose of the pump is to relocate ground water away from the dwelling. nothing says you have to have an open sump .....

the sump is place in the basement/cellar floor so that interior perimeter drains under the basement/cellar slab can direct rising groundwater to the sump pump for dispersal. This is to prevent the hydrostatic pressure from the ground water from lifting and compromising the slab. Pumps must be accessible for maintenance and replacement.

now you could direct the drains to a subsurface structure with a pump located there. this would remove the sump pump from the dwelling footprint. of course this would require excavation, a storage tank accessible from the surface (to get to the pump when it needs replacing). I myself have used this method so as to create a cistern (runoff from roof gutters) so that the homeowner has a source or water for irrigation of their lawns. of course this does come with a cost $$$$

if you have enough slope on your property you do not need a sump pump, but can install your subsurface drains to "daylight." this is the best way in my opinion because you do not need electricity or a pump to remove the groundwater. of course not all lots allow for this.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 122

I don't have a sump pump.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Is there a reason that all new homes have there sump pumps inside there homes? I don't understand why we bring water into our homes and then pump it out? Why can't we start installing outdoor sumps?
I wasn't interested in raising Salamanders or having a high humidity level in the basement so out side is where mine is.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
I don't understand why you guys build on water
1 in a 1000 homes around here have sumps
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #12

I'm sorry, but... this is kind of a stupid question. You don't put a sump in your basement to have a water party. You put one in there because, well, s**t, somehow despite all the stuff I did outside, water somehow got in my basement. And once it's in, it needs to leave. Plus, "inside" is a pretty well-defined place. Where exactly are you putting a sump outside? Everywhere?

It's like asking why do we have airbags inside the car when we could just make the outside of the car all airbags.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

I don't think it's necessarily a "stupid question". If it was, I don't know why there would be regions of this very country where it was common to put sump crocks on the exterior.............

Actually, the fact that we bring exterior water into are basements as fast as possible is puzzling to alot of people. Until I've explained how the entire system works to customers, many of them have asked similar questions of me in the past..............
Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I don't understand why you guys build on water
1 in a 1000 homes around here have sumps
Sump crocks, exterior draintile with 12" minimum stone cover, interior draintile with minimum 4" stone under entire basement floor, and cross bleeders tying int. ext. together are all required by code here in WI. A sump pump, however, is NOT required, but often added if needed..........
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #15

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

I had a friend that built over 3,000 new homes ans everyone had both interior and exterior drain tile with the low points several inches below the bottom of the footings. The interior drain tile also collected ware from the cores of the block below the floor surface.

He vowed never to have a problem (wet or damp basement, or floor slab cracks or walls blown in) when delivered to the buyer or created by dump buyers that screwed up the landscaping later on. He would not allow a deletion credit and price was built into the home and not significant because it was a low material cost improvement that could be done but just adjusting schedules.

In this case, the exterior drain tiles and interior drain tiles fed into an interior sump that could easily be monitored and tested.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-16-2013)