Why Did They Do It This Way? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Why did they do it this way?

My house is a split level and while demolishing stuff around the center beam (where it splits off to crawlspace) I noticed the beam sits on brick piers. Now this part is fine, and is in fact fairly good. Better then using wood which would rot over time. Now what I find odd is that rather then sit the beam right dead center of the brick pier, it's kinda offset to one side. It's not movement over time, it's just the way it's made, at least I think. Can't see how that would move.

Not much I can do now to change that unless I want to start jacking it up and such but it's not a big enough deal (or is it?) to worry about. The whole beam sits on the brick, it's just the brick "sticks out". I would have pushed it in completely under or at least center it, but that's just me.

Here is a picture of what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails
Why did they do it this way?-dsc02486.jpg  

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

if it hasn't moved in years, its probably fine.

maybe they wanted to leave a bit of ledge there so you can have a finished wall?

no worry about the offset i would think, the weight will be mostly down one side due to offset. but since the cinder blocks have solid outer perimeter it is good and strong.

Knucklez

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Yeah I see no cracks or anything. Overall the foundation is actually quite good. I've been removing all drywall so I will see all the bare walls and so far so good.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

It may be an optical illusion, but it appears that the block bearing is also serving as a foundation wall "dead man". On longer foundation walls it is common for short perpindicular walls to be poured or blocked (on the interior or on the exterior below grade) to help stabilize the long wall. It helps reduce or eliminate bowing from soil pressures. They do occasionally serve as bearing points for beams.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

The deadman was probably put at that location so that it fell into the 16" centers of the block foundation and would still provide full bearing for the beam. Probably better load bearing this way, than cutting a slot in the foundation wall for the beam to rest on.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote