Who Would I Need To Build This? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Who would I need to build this?

I've always had a dream of building my own house. I've know found a lot in a good area but it's only 4, 000 sq. Ft. So I want to build up. I want the first level (practically 3, 800 sq. Ft. To be a garage for my car collection/ restoration-storage area with about a 30-40 ft ceiling. And then 2 floors above to be a loft style house with an elevator. It may sound like a bit much but this has been my dream since high school. With all this in mind, what type of an engineer would I need on this project? There are no zoning laws in my city as to how I can build on my property and several newly developed "shotgun" type homes in the area that have been built using practically all the lot.

Advertisement

JohnRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Not going to be able to build that with standard lumber. That will need to be commercial type steel framing. Why do you need a 30-40' ceiling in a garage? Get ready to shell out a ton of money to accomplish your vision. Start with a good structural engineer. Anything is possible if you have the money.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-26-2014), JohnRiley (01-25-2014), Live_Oak (01-26-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

No lumber, just steel and concrete. I'm not sure about the height just yet but 30-40ft. Is just idea. I was just wanted some info on who would I need to build this? And with no zoning laws, would I need approval from anyone else? I'm in Houston.

Last edited by JohnRiley; 01-25-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Probably gonna want a commercial GC to do that. A really good residential guy may take a stab at it if he was looking for a challenge. I would first look up some architects and find one to do some preliminary drawings. Then you can shop it out to a few GC's and get some ideas about pricing.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
JohnRiley (01-25-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,214

Your architect---might be able to suggest a builder that he has had good experiences with.

As sixeightten suggested--this is a commercial type building--so look for an architect that does a lot of commercial buildings.

Should be a fun project---the architect will know the local codes and restrictions also---
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,462

i'd look for a guy who's built w/icf's IF it were my bldg - maybe even a roof garden ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiley View Post
No lumber, just steel and concrete. I'm not sure about the height just yet but 30-40ft. Is just idea. I was just wanted some info on who would I need to build this? And with no zoning laws, would I need approval from anyone else? I'm in Houston.
Your area may not have "zoning" laws but you are in Harris County right, near Houston?

They have building codes, near as I can figure it they are on the 2006 IBC etc.
City of Houston is using the same I think.
Andy.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
i'd look for a guy who's built w/icf's IF it were my bldg - maybe even a roof garden ?
I was thinking just that. And as far as any county ordinances I really haven't seen any that will affect my plan. There's actually a house somewhat similar to it about a mile down from me. So who knows, but I'll get that checked too.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Why not find a building already constructed for your needs. With how large Houston is, there has to be a structure already in a commercial or manufacturing zoned area.

The problem with what you are wanting, is that if it is being built in a residential area, you are going to run into the whole Nimby (Not in my backyard) issue, along with zoning board will fight you all of the way.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Why not find a building already constructed for your needs. With how large Houston is, there has to be a structure already in a commercial or manufacturing zoned area.

The problem with what you are wanting, is that if it is being built in a residential area, you are going to run into the whole Nimby (Not in my backyard) issue, along with zoning board will fight you all of the way.
I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this but, this lot has sentimental value. It was the home where I originally grew up in. A 1930's style cottage with no central AC/Heat. When I was 13 devolopers turned the empty lot surrounding my house into 3 story shotgun homes. Completely blocking out our house from light during the winters and even summers. It's been complete hell living next to that. So now that I'm in the position to build my dream, an amazing house that will tower over all that, I'm going to do it. Regardless of anything/one that objects to it. That's why I'm doing this instead of looking for a house somewhere like the Woodlands or something. So this is very personal to me. I'm must sound like a crazy chasing a pipe dream but I'm not straying.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Still you are going to have zoning issues, along with the Nimby's. You probably would get more out of that lot now, if you sold it for the land price, which would actually help pay to fund finding a lot with more room, and not homes with Zero clearance on both sides.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
JohnRiley (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Still you are going to have zoning issues, along with the Nimby's. You probably would get more out of that lot now, if you sold it for the land price, which would actually help pay to fund finding a lot with more room, and not homes with Zero clearance on both sides.
Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. What exactly do you mean by zoning issues?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiley View Post
Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. What exactly do you mean by zoning issues?
Exactly that. Suggest you take a trip to City hall and talk to those that hand out building permits.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 766

Greg, the Houston area is like the wild West as far as zoning issues go. They don't have any! You can build a petrochemical plant next to a hospital if you want to, there are no zoning laws to prevent it. As mentioned earlier some building codes to apply however.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 746

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what cars are in your collection?

Advertisement

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote