Where To Use Osb In Renovation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

where to use osb in renovation

I have used 1/2'' plywood as interior wall sheathing,on the ceiling, and underlayment on top of my home's centermatch hardwood floors.

My home is fairly old. I have floor joists that measure actual 2'' thick x 6-1/2'' wide. So im guessing in the 50-75 year old range.

I am renovating the rest of my house and i was wondering if i could use 1/2'' osb instead of the plywood as interior wall sheathing and underlayment?

I plan on screwing down the osb to the floor. will the head of the screw tear through the osb?

Advertisement

rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

23/32" OSB is just fine for use on floors. I would recommend a tongue and groove rated sheathing panel. Using screws and construction adhesive will basically eliminate any squeaks. Advantech is a nifty OSB product for floor sheathing, but you can spend less, especially if it won't get rained on.

7/16" OSB is commonly used for exterior wall sheathing. As long as it is APA rated sheathing, which most OSB is, it'll work just like plywood would.

Why are you sheathing interior walls with OSB??? The only reason to do that is if they're part of a braced shear wall assembly, which I doubt they are in a home that old. Unless there's something strange going on, the sheetrock should go straight to the studs.

7/16" OSB would be inadequate for floor sheathing in most applications.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #3

well as far as the interior, I want to seal the exterior walls to keep out mice and such. not common practice but i have seen the inside of walls that i havent sealed yet and dont like it.
Some of my exterior walls do have 3/4'' planks running across which i will keep and add 1'' x's to fill in gaps.

I am doing some major renovation. this weekend i completly tore down an exterior wall because of the old ways they constructed housing
for example: studs at 3 ft apart with cross 2x4 then 1'' thick planks running up and down.

i did use 5/8'' osb on the exterior.

I am worried about my floor. it is 3/4'' tongue and groove planks that are about 3''-4'' wide.

you are saying i should i put down 3/4'' T&G OSB?
should i put a vapor barrier between them?

Sorry i forgot to mention my house is on piers.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
I am worried about my floor. it is 3/4'' tongue and groove planks that are about 3''-4'' wide.

you are saying i should i put down 3/4'' T&G OSB?
should i put a vapor barrier between them?
Is the floor's current performance acceptable? If so, then there's no need to remove it and no need for 3/4" OSB on top of it. You could lay down some 7/16" OSB over the planks if it makes you feel better. Once again, use glue and screws or it will squeak like crazy.

Adding 7/16" OSB on the inside of the walls will do very little to mouseproof the house. Ever seen a mouse chew something up?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #5

thanks for your time. i appreciate it.

I hate to keep asking questions, but what about vapor barrier and what type of screws? Deck screws?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #6

Vapor barrier for what? Exterior walls? What kind of insulation are you using? If you have a basement you don't need a vapor barrier on the floor framing.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I would not put a vapor retarder in between layers of a floor system. Whether you need a vapor retarder is a different question. The answer would depend on whether you have insulation under the floor. And yes, deck screws, not drywall screws.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #8

i have no insulation under the floor, just dirt. house is about a foot off the ground.

thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #9

OSB is a vapour barrier in itself. Just seal the joints.

Edit:

Nevermind, that stuff will fall apart with the moisture from the dirt below.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #10

what stuff will fall apart? the osb?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
what stuff will fall apart? the osb?
Yeah, OSB doesn't respond well to moisture. I'm not sure how to go about insulating the floor properly but I imagine you will want a moisture barrier between the ground and the insulation. If you have that, the OSB should be fine to act as a vapour barrier in itself.

Advertisement

Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote