Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

where to purchase a mold for making hollow blk

I'm looking for a mold to pour on site 8" x 8" x 16" hollow blocks,
A real plus would be a mold like used in the states that create self aligning, self leveling, dry stack wall blocks then when you insert rebar and back fill with concrete it provides the integrity. of course you start with a straight and level footer of sufficient size. I'm in Albay near Legaspi city
I'm searching high and low with zero results. If you can help please email the OLD WHITE BOY AT: rottweiler.maxi@gmail.com THANKS, BILL

Bill Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,060

Good luck!

Your best bet would be to look towards Manila to see if something might be available.

If you have substantial construction there is smaller equipment that can make the block.

Unfortunately, you need a certain degree of accuracy to make block for dry stacking. Also the block are not backfilled, but are filled with grout (not mortar) whenever the is a core with rebar in it.

Making shapes like concrete block require complicated mold to get the concrete out. You could try solid block, but they would have poor tolerences and no way of reinforcing for sesmic, waves and lateral loads. The vertical loads are never a problem with block.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #3

Dick, thanks for input, there are several companies that will sell me a multi thousand dollar gasoline powered machine for this purpose, But being a block builder just won't do it for me I only want to make what I need and throw the old mold in the bay. Bill
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #4

Good luck with your attempts with dry-stack reinforced block. The concept of dry stacking requires more precise block and more reinforcement. That is why it is so rare all around the world. The only place where I have seen dry-stack block used in any amount is in an area of Africa, but the block are made on a $800,000 set-up.

Do you have an idea how many molds you would need if you use poured concrete instead of the zero slump concrete that requres pressure and vibration, but is only in the mold for less than 30 seconds. With poured concrete you need curing for a day to be strong enough to get out of a mold and handle.

Mortar makes everything easier and masons are everywhere or you can easilly learn to lay block yourself, especially if you use a plaster finich, which is very common in many, many (most) countries. Your location is not really unique
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dick what is a plaster finch??? I was reading the above post and this caught my attention. something that I haven't heird of before. Thanks BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

I can't see how it could possibly be cheaper to make your own than to buy them, no matter how much time you have on your hands.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #7

buletbob -

I meant a plaster or stucco finish and not finich. - To early in the morning.

In the original poster's location it could be referred to a rendering or some similar spanish word.

Dick
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #8

You have to do it yourself here or watch each mix for correct porportions, the natives skimp so much on the portland that the mere act of lifting up a 4" hollowblock will crush it (true)in your hand I'm not Arnold either.
I will probably buy a 6" x 8" x 16" mold and make my own blocks, actually sit in a plastic chair directing my natives how to do it.

check out the PUTRA BLOCKS MADE IN MAYLASIA, I HAVE THE STUDY I CAN FORWARD TO YOU IT IS A MULTI PIECE BLOCK DEVELOPED FOR MASS HOME CONSTRUCTION IN MAYLASIA after the last disaster there funded by their government won many awards for bright concept of the year in construction materials journal. I have not found anyone that will sell me their mold it has multiple patents on it. Bill

Last edited by Bill Leland; 01-08-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
buletbob -

I meant a plaster or stucco finish and not finich. - To early in the morning.

In the original poster's location it could be referred to a rendering or some similar spanish word.

Dick
HA! HA! I was thinking it was some sort of tool to make laying the block easier. Thanks for the info. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #10

Bill -

I think I saw the block during one of my trips through Kuala Lumpar (sp?) and may have see samples made at Kuwait building Materials (KBM).

I could not Google a good photo of the units during a search.

The concept of using 6x8x16 for residential is very good and is done throughout southern Africa for one story homes and in Brazil for 20 story loadbearing block apartments. Both use systems that require mortar since dry stacking is not practical or cost effective in the long run even with higher labor costs.

Low tech block have a higher material cost to make them able to be handled compared to modern block made on machines. This is particularly true with interlocking block that require uniformity of the interlocking vertical faces. The height control on hand made block makes the vertical control and ability to stack a wall more than a couple of block high and keep a wall reasonably plumb without shimming and bracing. - This takes more labor in the end. mortar solves both problems.

If you are just building one little structure and don't care about out of plumb walls and low strength, going with hand cast block may the possible.

People around the world have been looking for alternates for block and mortar for over 100 years and no one has been able to come up with a system that has really been successful. The ones that have had some success (less the 1% of the total block used) have turned to modern machine made units to make the sytem work and get some very minor successes because of the better tolerences required and the higher strength with lower raw material costs.

Good luck!

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-09-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Tags
concrete block, hollow blocks, molds