Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Where to insulate in basement...?

Hello All!

I am days away from installing insulation in my basement finishing project. I live in a duplex, so one wall of the beasement is shared with the adjoining house.

I am planning on installing insulation (R-13) in the stud cavities along the exterior walls (walls which exterior surface contacts earth, all walls are poured concrete). Along the shared wall, the builder conveniently located the furnace and hot water heater, so I simply built a long wall the length of the basement (with bifold door openings to provide access) to enclose the mechanicals and provide storage. The distance between this wall and the shared wall is about 5 feet from inside edge of framed wall to shared wall. My question is, should I insulate the stud cavities of this wall as well? It is basically an interior wall like any other wall that separated two rooms above grade. The ceiling, which I am drywalling is also insulated.

Thanks for any advice!!

DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

DIY: Shure hope you installed Louvered bi-fold doors! That furnace needs air to breathe

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

I would insulate the wall before the hwh and furnace. No sense in waisting the heat they put out in the winter if you live in a cold climate area. And I agree with the louvers. They a needed.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

Insulating interior walls is a waste of money in the end since the heat is escaping into the house. Especially true with louvered doors.

If you want to save some money use a fresh air intake ducted to the furnace. - No sense in burning heated air and sucking cold into the rest of the house to make up the heated air burned.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #5

I have a double set of 36" bifold doors going directly, smack dab in front of the furnace and water heater for combustion air. The basement area is ~600 sq. ft. so I think this will suffice. Thanks or the input.

I was thinking along the lines of concrete masonry......

Concrete....what would be involved in running the fresh air intake....does it require cutting a hole to the outside?
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #6

Insulating interior walls is a money wasted big time bcs the heat is getting the house.true mainly with lowered doors.

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote