Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Where hardiplank siding meets brick

8 year old house. Where the hardiplank siding meets the brick there is a wood strip - maybe something like a drip cap that is rotting around the house. How do I replace this. Can I cut it flush and nail some moulding up against it or what. Thanks for the help

Scorpio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Where hardiplank siding meets brick

there are different types of dripcaps that people use at the bottom of their siding. Some of them just put a 1x2 or something like that and then put an aluminum flashing on it that covers the wood and goes up behind the siding to keep the water out. Others use an actual wooden drip cap. This is a piece of tapered wood that has a little lip at the top that slides up behind that siding. If I were you I would look at it a little close and see if there is a little lip there. If there is then the lip should only be about 1/8" or 1/4" tall. You should be able to pull the wood out once you have the nails located and pulled. Usually these drip caps are nailed streight into the wall through the front, unless there is a material below it that they could nail down into. But you said that it was over brick so it is probably nailed through the front. Pull it out and raplace it with something that is of the same basic design. These are designed to get the water away from the house, so you want to replace it with something that will accomplish that same function.

RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote