Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
long island, NY

Share |

Where to go for the best price for fiberglass batting insulation?

If you recall, I asked questions a while ago about adding attic insulation as a DIY. I said I suspceted we had insufficient insulation but was going to pop my head up and inpsect the attic... well I did this sat...

On LI, we should have a bare minimum of R40, with it being more prudent to have R50.... we have (drumroll.....)......

approx. R15 Gotta love old homes....
(I think it's 5" fiberglass batting that has compressed over 30 years a 1/2 inch. It's now approx. 4.5". Otherwise, the insulation that is there is in good shape... even, no gaps...).

We would like to install at least R30 (obviously w/o backing, and hopefully, a wide width) this november. We can install the new insulation perpendicular to the old, since there is very little height difference between the top edge of the wood and the insulation. It's a big attic, so we obviously would like to find the best price. Are home centers an OK source? I checked out lowes and HD, and frankly, they have VERY few choices. I don't think I even saw R30 w/o backing in rolls at our local stores. (I think they only had precut pieces at R30, with backing.)

What are other sources for fiberglass batting? Where do pro's get building supplies like this? Do you think it would be likely that they would sell insulation to me, or would those sources mainly be wholesale only?

And one last question... is there such a thing as R40 insulation w/o backing? If so, who makes it? (I didn't see anything online like that...)

thanks for your help!
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
long island, NY

never mind the last ?.... I found R38 batting now. Just am wondering where I can buy it for the best price...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Not so new

diyer... Yellow pages. Try your local lumber yard. In most cases they'll sell to you but you'll pay retail. Probably that orange store is your best bet.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
long island, NY

ok, thanks. No better place, I guess. Yikes it will be $$$. It's about $55/64 sq ft!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Not so new

Have you thought about blowing it in? You can make it as thick as you want.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
long island, NY

I know this will sound strange... but I'm not a fan of blown-in insulation. There are mainly 2 options: cellulose (with pesticides and fire retardants) and loose fiberglass.

Cellulose settles, so it will have to be redone. Also don't like the chemicals involved.
Loose fiberglass is a health hazard. 10 years ago, when I took a med school pathology class, they were already discussing the similarities between fiberglass and asbestos, as far as lung damage and diseases. It's one thing to have battings (that are firm objects that can be removed leaving limited free floating fiberglass residue), it's a whole different ball game having tons of fiberglass fluff in the attic. I won't do it... just becuase I saw the path slides of the damage it causes.... My husband is in complete agreement.

So we'll either do the job ourselves (dressed in space suits ), or we'd consider hiring someone to lay the battings (if anyone is willing to for a reasonable cost? I only read about blown-in insullation added to existing attics these days by companies).

Johns Manville makes unfaced R38 batting that is formaldehyde free... this is our favorite option at this moment.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI View Post
ok, thanks. No better place, I guess. Yikes it will be $$$. It's about $55/64 sq ft!!!
I think your math is off. Unfaced attic insulation batting is about $1-$1.50 max a square foot for R19-ish, so for R-38 (2 layers, about 12" thick total), you'd be looking at $2-$3 a SF.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
I think your math is off. Unfaced attic insulation batting is about $1-$1.50 max a square foot for R19-ish, so for R-38 (2 layers, about 12" thick total), you'd be looking at $2-$3 a SF.

nope... that was a math-free statement... that's how much it costs at lowes for a 64 sq ft package of R38.... although it's not unfaced... I'm presuming unfaced will cost the same as this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...245&lpage=none