Where To Get Rungs For Individual Rung Ladder? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 746

Where to get rungs for individual rung ladder?

I want to make an individual rung ladder on a 7 foot concrete retaining wall. I'm having trouble locating something I could use as rungs. They can be individual hand/foot holds that don't go all the way across, so left right pattern "handles", or just straight bars. I don't want it to look too industrial, so no rebar or anything like that. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

You got Google?

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
You got Google?
I think I broke my google because I've searched and searched with no luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

You mean something like this?

I'm guessing you'd have to drill holes for the ends and use an appropriate epoxy to affix them. But given the risks and loads that could be put on this, I'd be VERY, VERY careful about setting up something like this without have THOROUGHLY investigating local code requirements and your insurance policies.

Just how's this wall been built? And for what purpose do you see this 'ladder' being used? There might be any number of ways to approach this, many being safer or less expensive.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

I've seen those. I consider that to be the "rebar" look, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm looking for something that can be screwed to the wall. Picture a bath towel rod on steroids or even smaller ones like a cabinet handle or toilet paper roll holder, but obviously made for this purpose. It's just to give me access to the level above. I go up once a year to cut down trees and other plants growing up there, but as of now I grab the top of the wall and pull myself up. I'm looking for a more refined way to get up there. The wall is at least 12 inches of reinforced concrete, no worries there. I could permanently attach a fixed ladder, but trying to find other options first. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

I also have to climb a rock wall to get to it, so it's not something anyone else should ever be near. It will be safe and solid anyway, but just to answer your question.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

You are going to have to have a metal shop fabricate it out of bar stock and plate steel welded to the bent bar stock, to form the rungs. Also, you need to know what size of bolt and the length, for a certain weight that it will hold a person of say 250 to 300 lbs.

That means you need to talk to a engineer that can design the fixture and draw up drawings on CAD, so that you can give to the fabrication shop to make the rung fixtures with the proper gauge steel and plate, and proper sized holes.

Well lookie here, found you a company that manufacturers the ladders, http://flextechdampers.com/osha.html Another company
http://www.fsindustries.com/more_inf..._ladders.shtml
OSHA requirements on fixed in place ladders http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9719
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Bill Kearney

If it's not the sort of thing that needs regular access then what's the problem with just using a ladder? Especially if it's that short of a height. Just sayin'...

As for handles, I don't know many screw-in fasteners I'd trust to handle an adult climbing load, especially not with tools or work materials. That's a lot of things to watch, maintenance-wise.

That and by the time you drill the holes for such a thing you'd already be to the point you could insert a u-shaped piece of metal and epoxy it into place. You're not going to get away with just 1/4" Tapcons, you'd need a lot larger diameter hole and appropriate fastener.

Doesn't have to be rebar, there's all kinds of bar stock that could be used. Or you could have a local metal shop fabricate just about anything you'd like. I'm guessing with the right epoxy (designed for the purpose) it could be quite strong and low-maintenance.

I'd be skeptical there's much readily designed for the purpose. Liability and all that...
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

Thanks Greg, but I don't want a whole ladder, just something on the wall.

I'm pretty sure one small handle properly screwed into concrete would hold my weight, so something beefy should be fine, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Welding fabrication shop or ornamental iron shop will make just what you need----
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Thanks Greg, but I don't want a whole ladder, just something on the wall.

I'm pretty sure one small handle properly screwed into concrete would hold my weight, so something beefy should be fine, but maybe I'm wrong.
The shear forces on handles are probably a LOT more than you're considering. The load of someone traveling up and down are quite a bit more than just the weight of the person. Sure, the handles themselves need to be sturdy but so does the point where they meet the fastener and how that fastener goes into the wall. This is why u-shaped metal bar epoxied into holes is typically used instead. The surface area of the epoxy inside the hole, along the inserted bar, is MUCH greater than the collar area around a bolt. That typically helps transfer the load stresses much better than a bolt would. Just consider that there are specific epoxies for this kind of purpose, not just generic stuff.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-06-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,512

Two pipe flanges, two elbows, a length of pipe and four concrete anchors(not tapcons)..

Even grab bars would probably work. They are made hold a lot weight. This praticular one is made of solid bass.

http://www.smedbo.com/smedbous/products/home/hk325.aspx

Last edited by joed; 06-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #13

Alright, so if I do go with the U shaped bars, is there somewhere I can buy those? I know they're used for sewer manholes. How much larger should the hole be than the diameter of the bar? Any idea what type of epoxy to use?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #14

Thanks joed. I did think about grab bars for a second. I wonder if that would work? I know they make some with non slip grip surfaces. Opinions?

Something like this:

http://www.grab-bar.com/products/1-1...th-safety-grip

I know they're exposed to moisture in showers, but will they hold up outdoors?

Last edited by mikegp; 06-06-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Bill Kearney

For stepping? No. Especially not since you mentioned one purpose for going up there being yard maintenance. As in, when you're going to be in muddy possibly otherwise slippery footwear. You want something specifically engineered for ladder purposes. Grab bars and handles typically aren't.

7' on a vertical wall is high enough for someone to get injured or killed. It would seem profoundly stupid to screw around here.

Advertisement