Where To Get Material For Garage Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where to get material for garage floor

I plan to build a garage. Start with a concrete floor. I want to mix the concrete myself to save the cost. Do I really save that much? I saw that 80 lbs of cement at Home Depot costs more than $10. Is there a way to get a large amount of cement (2 car garage) for cheaper price? Where do I get that?
How about sand and gravel? Where do I get that for cheap? I search google, and couldn't find a local seller that sells cement the quantity that I need after an hour of search.

Advertisement

nann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nann View Post
I plan to build a garage. Start with a concrete floor. I want to mix the concrete myself to save the cost. Do I really save that much? I saw that 80 lbs of cement at Home Depot costs more than $10. Is there a way to get a large amount of cement (2 car garage) for cheaper price? Where do I get that?
How about sand and gravel? Where do I get that for cheap? I search google, and couldn't find a local seller that sells cement the quantity that I need after an hour of search.
IMO saving money is great but your garage project will require a lot of gravel, heavy cement and mixing labor for the concrete floor. I would check out delivery of the premixed cement which can be poured right into the worksite. Once the worksite is prepped for the premixed cement you will be leveling it out and resting while it hardens up.

Advertisement

aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're absolutely throwing money away by trying to mix the concrete yourself. You don't know the exact ratios of raw materials to mix together to successfully mix concrete, and the bags are cost prohibitive compared to ready-mix on a project of this scale. Plus, the end result isn't nearly as good because it is simply impossible to mix bags fast enough to get them placed before curing/setting begins.

Your best bet, by far, is to call a local concrete company who can mix and deliver the appropriate concrete for your application and your region.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

realize you may take this personally but its generic,,, w/your level of expertise, look for a gc/bldr who may want this job,,, the 1st step's usually STAMP'D PLANS then a bldg permit,,, siting, layout, & grading come before excavating for the foundation - unipour (monopour) or floating slab ? ? ?

cement is only 1 ingredient of the compound, concrete,,, not personal, just forum
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I plan to build a garage. Start with a concrete floor.
No, start with a proper footing for your area's soil conditions, freeze/thaw, and imposed loads. Then worry about the slab.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

If you insist on mixing yourself (I wouldn't) call a rock quarry. You're waaaay better off ordering premixed and probably hiring a pro to finish it.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

What kind of a garage "base" are you considering? - Flat slab, slab with turned down edges or a stem wall with a thinner floating slab in the center?

Mixing concrete, pouring and finishing a garage floor yourself, since you do not even know what to buy, will be a mistake.

The quality will be low and you probably do not have the labor available to do it all at once, which is necessary. It can also be excessively expensive.

Buying bags of pre-proportioned concrete mix is very expensive. Buying sand, rock and cement, having it delivered and mixing it fast enough is also costly and will result in poor concrete.

Hire a contractor to to the labor and ask for your time contributed in the job if you can be productive.

Buy the ready-mix and have it delivered so you can pour and finish it properly. A ready-mix supplier buys cement, sand and rock cheaper than you can and will proportion it more accurately and mix it better. - That is why very few contractors mix their own concrete unless it is a smalll remote job and they don't have the credit to buy it.

If you do not have a big bunch of friends that have done it before, you are trying to swim upstream.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
realize you may take this personally but its generic,,, w/your level of expertise, look for a gc/bldr who may want this job,,, the 1st step's usually STAMP'D PLANS then a bldg permit,,, siting, layout, & grading come before excavating for the foundation - unipour (monopour) or floating slab ? ? ?

cement is only 1 ingredient of the compound, concrete,,, not personal, just forum
Thanks for the advice. Concrete is one of the large costs. I understand it's not the 1st step of doing it. I am in the process of planning the cost. Once I got those locked down with a plan, I will go to the county to work out the permits and other stuffs. I know that they also gives out a lot of good advices.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #9

It looks like mixing the concrete myself is a bad idea. I will buy the premix stuffs then. I didn't intend to buy 1 bag at a time. That's why I am here in the first place to ask where to buy it cheap. However, with the amount of cement, other material, and time to mix (with a mixing machine), it is not a good idea.

Some other people have advice on the specific type of foundation and such, I will do research on those. Probably the county has code for this area to have certain number of inches for the gravel (below the concrete slab), and the edges probably turn down. Those will be carefully planned down to fraction of an inch, so don't be worry about that.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You're absolutely throwing money away by trying to mix the concrete yourself. You don't know the exact ratios of raw materials to mix together to successfully mix concrete, and the bags are cost prohibitive compared to ready-mix on a project of this scale. Plus, the end result isn't nearly as good because it is simply impossible to mix bags fast enough to get them placed before curing/setting begins.

Your best bet, by far, is to call a local concrete company who can mix and deliver the appropriate concrete for your application and your region.
I agree.

Plus your back.

If you use ready mix you will have to have 44 bags per cu yd. That is about 2 tons.

I need to take some advil just thinking about it. Actually screw the advil, I need some narcotics.

If you mix your own you could end up with a bad batch since you are not skilled at doing this. I know this because you are asking the question and if you were skilled at it you wouldn't be asking.

Save your back and just have a cement truck come on buy.

Rates are between $90 and $130 per cu yd. in my area (northwest).
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

When i was a younger man, i undertook to pour a garage floor with turned down edges!
It was a very hot day in July and I had ordered enough ready mix concrete to pour the 16X30 slab.
Things started out well enough, but then a form that I had constructed from 2X8's failed. A bracing stake let go, then an section of about 12' fell outwards.
After desperately shoveling about 3 cubic yards of concrete mix, I was able to reposition the forms. Then the mix had to be shoveled back.
All the time it was starting set.
The air temperature was about 90 degree's and in direct sunlight.
I was able to screed it once and trowel once, before it set. I did manage to come up with a passible job, but I learned my lesson and never attempted this again.

Stick with the pro's for this, as unanticipated problems can occur and get you in deep trouble!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Not to mention it's just HARD work! When I started in the trades, I worked for a contractor who did everything (except mechanicals) from pouring the footings to laying the carpet. Concrete was probably my least favorite job with roofing coming in a close second.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I search google, and couldn't find a local seller that sells cement the quantity that I need after an hour of search.
I know it's old fashion but I'd try the yellow pages. That's where you'll find local contractors for costing your project.

Advertisement