Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Where does everyone get supplies?

I will say up front I work in Marketing for ******************, Inc. I am not trying to sell anything to forum members, I am just trying to engage you to help me understand the DIY market better. I do my own DIY on my house when I can. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help as well! My first post

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
JOATMON

I think the majority of us go to the big box stores...HD and Lowes....one stop for 90% of your needs....

I do have my specialty places....especially for stuff that HD does not carry...like some of the special Simpson hardware....

At the end of the day...price and convience are what determines what most of us buy....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

I usually get my stuff from Home Depot for 2 reasons. 1. I have a store credit card. 2. Its closer.

However, I will stop by Lowes and Ace Hardware every once in a while. I usually get my paint from Benjamin Moore, but have purchased Glidden and unfortunately, Behr....
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

I agree, I use Home Depot quite a bit. Not sure I would go there for paint, but everything else. I have leftover paint to use on my home right now, but if I decided to repaint I would want someone who really knows paints. Do you find that Home Depot and Lowe's Employees understand specialized products? I rarely find someone there that is overly helpful, other than helping me find the right row for my items.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

I find that maybe 20% know their stuff. For instance, when I ordered blinds, only 1 person knew how to actually order it on their own system out of 4 employees in that section. Other than that, my expectations aren't that high. The lower the price, the lower the knowledge, ie Walmart. I'm not bashing any of the companies, but someone who expects every person to know "their" specific section from top to bottom has impossible expectations...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think the majority of us go to the big box stores...HD and Lowes....one stop for 90% of your needs....
I second that.

The problem is when you need to ask a question. That's where smaller places (ACE and McCoys, e.g.,) really shine.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcorick View Post
I will say up front I work in Marketing for ****************** Inc. I am not trying to sell anything to forum members, I am just trying to engage you to help me understand the DIY market better. I do my own DIY on my house when I can. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help as well! My first post

Quote:
Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit....

Direct Link: http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?faq=diychatroom_faq#faq_advertising

Closed Thread